five

"Sometimes, to stay alive, you gotta kill your mind."

***

***

There was a block in the road, so everyone got out to help. A corpse fell out of a car that Glenn was clearing, and he was quick to stomp in the walker's head. Glenn angrily grunted with every stomp he took, even after the walker was dead. He finally stopped and spoke up.

"You didn't kill him," Glenn said, referring to the Governor.

"That's not why we went back," Rick explained calmly.

"No. That's right. You went back for Daryl. And now he's gone again, and the Governor is still alive," Glenn argued.

"Daryl was the priority," Rick explained.

"I should have been there with you," Glenn brought up.

"You were in no condition," Rick told him.

"But my girlfriend was? Skylar was shot!" Glenn yelled.

I just kept my mouth shut. I didn't want to involve myself.

"Glenn, this isn't about us," Maggie sighed.

"I should have been there," Glenn said softly.

"Hey, hey, you didn't come back with us 'cause you could barely walk," Rick spat.

"What about her? What about me?" Glenn referred to us.

"Do you know what he did to her?!" He yelled.

"Leave it alone!" Maggie jumped in.

"Do you know?" Glenn ranted.

"After all that effort, all the risk we took, Daryl just takes off with Merle?" He yelled.

I agreed with him. Daryl quickly left, and it hurt.

"Well, he had his reasons," Rick said.

"Bullshit," I mumbled.

"Yeah, you keep telling yourself that, Rick. Doesn't change the fact that we're up to our necks in shit," Glenn spoke.

"You want me to turn the car around, beg him to come back? Throw down a welcome mat for Merle? This is the hand we've been dealt!" Rick said sarcastically.

"Let's just get this out of here and get back. Talk about it after we rest," Maggie sighed.

Maggie was holding me as I started to tear up.

"You can do all the talking you want. I'm done," Glenn spat.

We got in the car and left without Daryl.

***

We finally pulled up to the prison. Carl and Carol pulled the gate open. I slowly pulled myself out of the car. Carl hugged me, and I cried.

"They're gone. Daryl's gone," I cried.

Carol started to get upset like me. I hugged her as we both felt the same way.

My leg was still throbbing. I really should see Hershel.

Carl hastily ran to me as he saw me struggling to walk.

"Are you okay? What happened?" He asked in a worried tone.

"I was shot," I said while trying to stand up.

He helped me up and rushed me to Hershel alone with rick assisting.

"Hershel?!" He kept yelling for him.

Hershel limped out of his room and led Carl and me to the infirmary. I was laid down on the table, and Carl held my hand.

"We need to set up the IV, clean the wound, take out the bullet, and stitch it up," Hershel ordered while gathering supplies.

"Carl, Stay with me, please," I said while holding his hand tighter.

"I always will," he replied and sadly smiled at me. I smiled at him

Hershel hooked up the IV, which didn't hurt.

"Now, I need to clean the wound. This is going to hurt; please try to stay as still as possible," Hershel said, rubbing alcohol in his hands.

I screamed in pain and squirmed.

"Shhhh," Carl tried to comfort me.

"I need to get the bullet out now. But you can't move, or It could start some bleeding," Hershel ordered, with sympathy in his eyes.

He started to take the bullet out, and it hurt like hell. I was crying and screaming, trying to stay still. I never thought that someone could feel pain like this.

Carl

I hate to see Skylar like this. She was holding onto my hand for dear life. This moment almost reminded me of when I was shot.

"Hold her down!" Hershel yelled to Rick.

He grabbed her legs and held her down firmly. She was shaking violently, tears running down her face.

"You're hurting her!" I was yelling.

He pulled the bullet out, and Skylar passed out.