fifty two

"Even if you know what's coming, you're never prepared for how it feels."

***

***

At this moment, I remembered me, Rick, and Carl's conversation from the other day.

"Hey. Hey. What does that mean?" Rick questioned as he matched pace with Carl and me. I just silently walked beside Carl, holding the can of gas in my hands.

"What I said. You hope the guy makes it. That's not enough. If you give a shit--" Carl fired back, only to be interrupted for his profane language.

"Carl," Rick scolded, causing me to roll my eyes slightly and shake my head.

"If you care, you do something. You don't just hope. It takes more than that. That's what I meant. There's gonna be something after the fight's over," Carl continued.

I didn't understand where this wave of confidence and hope came from. He seemed to have had the same vision as his father just recently.

"Not for everyone," Rick shared his input.

"Okay, yeah, but what about for you? Or Skylar?" Carl questioned.

"Or you?" I added, frowning upon the lack of mentioning his name.

Carl shook his head and continued.

"You're gonna live, Dad. Probably you too, Sky.  Why are we doing this? Why are we fighting them? So it isn't like how they want it, with everyone working for them, everyone living for them?" Carl suddenly seemed like he was comfortable sharing his bottled up opinion on everything.

"We're fighting, so it's all of us working together for something more than just killing other people," he continued.

"Well, you think we're gonna be out there, picking strawberries with Negan?" Rick slightly laughed.

"If that's what it takes. It's more than just hope. What, are we just gonna kill all of them?" Carl waited for an answer that never came.

"Finding some way forward, that's harder. That's something more.
Dad, that's how it's got to be."

***

Present time

I walked up to Daryl, Michonne meeting us not long after.

"Hey," I greeted her.

"Hi," she smiled slightly.

"I'm glad you came back. It's better we go out there together," Michonne said, referring to Daryl's plan.

I was furious when I had found out about his stupid idea to break down the wall at the sanctuary. Tara, him and Morgan were bound to be injured in some way.