sixty nine

"Do what is right, not what is easy."

***

***

"Our community is more than capable of defending itself!" Tara was the first to speak to the maskless woman standing in a sea of human-walker hybrids.

I didn't know how this situation was going to be dealt with. I was sure that I didn't want to send Lydia back to those horrible people, her mother's leader. Alpha didn't seem to care that Ben was here, as she never mentioned him.

"I show you my face because we mean you no harm. I just want my daughter. I know you have her," Alpha was dead-set on taking her daughter back, which confused me. Lydia was sure that her mother would've moved on and forgotten about her.

"You should turn around. Leave now, and no one gets hurt," Daryl yelled down to them. I looked to the left and right of me. I stood with Magna, Daryl, Kelly, Tara and Yumiko, all of which seemed at a loss for words. No one knew what to do.

"Wrong answer," Alpha spoke calmly and raised her right arm, signalling even more of her people to stumble out from behind the cornfield. Lydia had lied. It wasn't just her and her family...

"That girl told me what her mom does to her. We ain't sending her back to that," Daryl said with a determined look on his face.

"I've seen the bruises," I nodded

"Yeah, but what if she has Alden and Luke? Pissing her off can get them killed," Tara whispered back, and I spotted poor Connie hiding in the cornfield.

"Did you kill our friends? We found their horses," Magna asked the question everyone was nervous for.

"No. Which one of you leads these people?" Alpha asked, and I was slightly relieved.

"What the hell does it matter?" Daryl countered. It seemed no one wanted to say out loud who lead this place now because no one knew.

"Then I'll just address all of you. Your people crossed into our land. There will be no conflict. Your people killed our people. There will be no conflict. I'm done talkin'. Bring me my daughter, or there will be conflict," Alpha said with the same monotone voice and dead look in her eyes. I would've said it was a fair deal, but I wasn't going to send a little girl and her brother back into that.

"No one touches the girl," Daryl whispered and took off down the ladder.

"Daryl," I whispered harshly, following him down with shaky hands and my heart beating rapidly.

"Don't do anything stupid," I ordered while following behind him, Enid and Henry catching up with us.

"Does she have Alden and Luke?" Enid asked frantically, and Daryl didn't stop his beeline for the gate. I looked at her with sad eyes. We didn't know.

"I don't know."

"What does she want? No, Daryl, we can't do that," Henry spoke quickly, realizing what Alpha wanted.