Chapter 22

Bruno's POV

"Stop!" I screamed as I stood in front of the black car making it jerk into a stop and nearly causing me to get hit by it. I couldn't see Persephone through the tinted window and I knew she couldn't hear me but I still begged for her to get out. "Persephone! Please! Let me explain!"

It didn't take awhile for her to finally get out and see me. The car door opened and she jumped out. "You could've just told me to pay for my debt! Here's your ten thousand fuckin' dollars!" she growled with angry tears pouring from her eyes as she took out a pile of cash from her purse and threw them into the air angrily to my surprise making them flew everywhere. She didn't even let me speak. Before she got in the car again, she looked down and grieved, "You broke my heart. I hope you're happy you finally got your revenge on me." I felt a tear shed from my eye. My stomach was twisting with dread. "Get out of the way now please," her voice was a crack. Then she jumped in the car again and shut the door.

I finally moved away from the car and just watched it rolled and disappeared in the pavement. More tears started pouring swiftly down my face. I almost fall to my knees in great grieve. What have I done? I shouldn't have planned for this in the first place. I never thought I was going to take this seriously. I never thought I would fall in love with her. I should've just... ugh.

Persey's (Natalie) POV

I opened the door to the bedroom and let myself fall onto the king-sized bed and cry. Cry as if there was no tomorrow. Cry as if it was my last. I felt like my heart was drowning and I couldn't save it. I regret every single good thing I thought about Bruno. All these times, he was only pretending and playing with my feelings. I thought he felt the same way. I was wrong. He only wanted revenge. Why was I too dumb not to realize that? Of course, who would actually fall for someone who stole money from them? Bruno? No.

He isn't the Grenade guy everybody thinks he is. If he is, he wouldn't have planned to hurt me. Didn't he just say he would catch a grenade for his love even though how horrible and cruel she is towards him? Ali was right. That was pure bullshit!

So, is this how terrible it feels? Being brokenhearted—I mean. I felt like grabbing a razor right now and cutting my wrist with it or driving down a dead end street.

He was everything I ever wanted. He was no different from other guys. He was no different from James.

But wait a second. Do I even have the right to get angry at him? I mean... I did the same thing to him once, didn't I? I broke his heart, just like how he broke mine now. Then I guess we're quits now. I stole his money, he got revenge on me... we're done. We're donepretending. We're done fooling the people around us.

I'm gonna end this once and for all.

"Here," I held out my phone to Ali's face who was sitting on the edge of her bed looking so weary. "Call your Dad," I said.

Without a word, she took the phone and dialed. I watched as she put it to her ear and wait for her Dad to answer. "Dad?" she chirped after a few seconds. "It's me! Ali." I can hear her voice cracking. "I'm fine, Dad. Don't worry about me. I'm in a safe place." She swallowed and looked up the ceiling, probably trying to stand her tears from falling. "...I can't go home just yet. I'm sorry I didn't ask permission from you to go on camping." She bit her lips like how she does it when she's lying. "I'm fine, Dad! I told you! You don't have to worry. I eat three times a day. Even eight times, okay?" "What? I'm not crying. I just... Ugh! I just miss you!" "I love you too, Dad. I promise to stay safe. I'll see you soon." "Bye," she removed the phone from her ear. As soon as she ended the call, she finally broke down. She lifted her legs up and cried on her knees.