Chapter 28

Persey's (Natalie) POV

"Seize them!" James' voice echoed through the hallway as we ran to escape while his men chased after us. My heart was pounding to the beat that my feet were making as we raced out of the hallway and the men chasing us were almost out of sight. Unfortunately, as we reached the foyer, dead end welcomed us. Three of James' men again appeared to block our way. I stood behind Bruno and quickly, he threw his fist to the face of the first man standing nearest to him. I didn't expect him to do that, and I didn't even see it coming. The other man then grabbed me by the arm and started trying to tie me up.

As soon as Bruno finally knocked the first man out, leaving him lying on the floor, the third man grabbed him locking his arm around his neck to strangle him.

Meanwhile, I was rapidly kicking my feet struggling to get away from the man's grip. By accident, I kicked him in the balls which caused him to moan in pain and finally release me. I took the opportunity to kick him some more while he curled on the floor.

The men that were chasing us then appeared in sight again. Panicked, I looked at Bruno and saw him gave a finally kick on his opponent who was now on the floor as well. He held my hand tightly, now with a gun in his other hand which he probably got from one of the man he had beaten up.

There was no other way but to go upstairs. So we mounted the long and spiral flight of stairs to the next floor, still with those same men on our tail. Just when I thought the action had subsided already when Evans and his company left, here we were again, fighting for our lives.

"Where do we go now?" Bruno asked, panting as we ran through one of the hallways of the fourth floor.

"This is the last floor," I said. "I don't know. Maybe we could climb to the rooftop and find a way to get down from there? It may be death-defying though."

"Your husband is really eager to kill me, isn't he?" he commented.

"I know. Just stay with me, okay? I will never let him near you," I swore.

We reached a stairway made of metal which leads to the rooftop when, in time, came those men again in view.

"Go! Climb!" I exclaimed, half-panicking.

Bruno swiftly climbed up the metal stairs with me following behind. He opened the metal door to the rooftop and rushed out to the open area as if it was a flower field. I followed and then hurried to lock the door. As I looked up, I see stars above us, scattered like dust shining in the night sky with the moon, glowing bright enough for us to see the surroundings.

"Now what?" I asked, my voice shaking a little in nervousness. The wind was strong, blowing my hair off my face.

Bruno didn't answer. Instead, he hurried to the cemented railing of the rooftop to check the ground. I walked over to him and examined what was down there too. It was only then that I realized how high up we were. There was no way Bruno's gonna make me jump or do spiderman.