One (Revised)

Bits of the palace walls began to crumble under the weight of the burning rubble, screams of horror rung through my ears as loud crashing soon followed, the contents in my stomach churned, as I thought about the silence that followed. A series of coughs erupted from my chest, as my eyes watered rapidly. Black clouds of smoke were suffocating and choked the life right out of my lungs, bile rose to my throat as I began to feel sick. My coughs became more vigorous after every second.

"Princess Jiayang please this way quickly!"                                                                                                             A palace guard reached out for my hand, his gaze was bland, relaxed even. I felt my anger boiling my blood, I snapped the guard's hand angrily allowing my long red nails to dig into his skin. Jianyu snatched my hand away from the guard as he looked at me, his eyebrows low on his face.

"Now isn't the time!"

Jianyu shouted over the sounds of the other screaming. Jianyu pulled me along as we ran through the garden, attempting to escape the inner palace. I stumbled as we ran, Jainyu held on tightly refusing to let go of me. His hands were damp and covered in soot, I couldn't see his face but I know he continued to look back at me, squeezing my hand tighter if it loosens even for a moment. As we proceeded, the smog only grew thicker, I shook in fear as a golden ashen fire tore into one of the palaces sides. My legs begin to wobble, but Jianyu refused to let me fall, he pulled me in front of him, forcing me to walk, I coughed heavily as he forced me forward.

A female guard was placed at the entrance to the palace estate. The contents of my stomach turned to lead as I stood up and watched the gates. Palace maids, Eunuchs, cooks, scrabbled from the gardens, screams of panic and fear filled the air. I turned back to the palace, and the main house was ignited with red and golden embers tearing into the palace- My Palace. Members of every section of the palace, scattered from the direction of the fire, they passed me with even a small bow or glance in my direction. I clenched my fist, knowing it wasn't the time to discipline. A rapid coughing fit erupted from me once again, my chest felt like it had caught fire as well. My legs gave in as I fell to the ground, guards were instantly on my side. Jianyu stood over me, his head moving rapidly looking over the fleeing palace members, and court officials that mixed in with them.

A guard approached me with a cup of water, I snatched it away, and drink deeply, my fingers could barely get a grip on the cup firmly. I looked back up at Jianyu, as he looked down at me finally. He gave me a weak smile, as he turned back to the burning palace. It looked like a bonfire in the evening sky, the sunset made it seem like the whole world was on fire. I felt my blood grow cold, the cup slipping through my fingers.

"What about mother and father? Where are they?"

I watched the blood drain from Jianyu's neck as he continued to stare at the raging fire. I made contact with one of the guards, his face bleached white. He licked his lips quietly as if he were struggling to find the words. Jianyu was watching him with equal intensity, anger and confusing danced on his face. The guards held up his hand defensively, as he shivered under the gaze of Jianyu.

"Please stay calm, the empress is alright... The emperor..."

He stuttered as he held his head low. My stomach turned to lead, as tears forced their way to my eyes. I broke away from the guards and sprinted back towards the palace.

"Princess!!" The guard exclaimed followed by rapid coughing.

~hours before~

"Jiayang, you look very beautiful today."                                                                                                                  I turned to see a small young palace maid. Her eyes were fixed on my shoes as she spoke, not once did she even look up. I sighed a bit bored at her bland behavior, I waved her away. She bowed again before backing away, never turning her back on me.