Six

The tall man roared in laughter, he placed his hands on his knees as he cried while he laughed. Many of the men seem confused while others seemed to sigh of relief.

"I have never met a woman with such bitter words to say."
He managed to say between gasp of breaths. I smiled slightly, happy that this man wasn't offended by my words. He eventually stopped laughing and stood up straight in front of me.

"I have not laughed in quite some time. How can I be of service to you young lady?"
He asked as he gave me a broad smile.

I hesitated for a moment before opening my mouth.

"I'm interested in the sword, teach me."
I asked bluntly. I looked down and blushed in embarrassment, realizing i sounded like a child. He looked at me as if I were crazy or making another joke. When he saw the seriousness in my eyes, his humored face disappeared quickly.

"Shouldn't you be trying to attract the emperor's attention and becoming Empress?"
He asked clearly uncomfortable of my request.

"Little did I know he was a child, I am not interested of seducing him.
I said bluntly. The man scratched his head and thought for a moment.

"Alright, I'll teach you after I run it by the emperor."
He said with a smile knowing he might have annoyed me. I frowned but agreed, I began to walk away. Before he stopped me again.

"What's you name, I am Choi."
He asked with a smile.

"My name is Jiayang"

***
I made my way back through the garden and back to the center of the palace gardens. I glanced to the side and noticed the fire lillies in full bloom, their red petals seemed as if they were on fire. My brain quickly replied my life before this one, I tried my hardest to not get depressed or feel sorry for my self.

I snapped back to the present from the sound of shuffling of the feet. I calmly turn around to see the concubines from earlier. Though strange to admit, these women were beautiful, the Emperor has some good taste, I chuckled to myself before facing the girls.

"Your the new concubine.. Jyan right?"
One of the girls said as she snickered amongst her friend. I held a calm grin and bowed to the respectively.

"I am Jiayang Hon Shi, what might your names be."
I asked politely. There laughter disappeared and their faces appeared bored.

"It doesn't matter, who we are all that matters is that your an outsider to this palace."
A woman with short brown hair complained as she glared at me.

"And your assistant is a bastard child, how dirty."
She said again as the others laughed loudly and obnoxiously. I cocked my head in confused. Ming and Lin don't seem to be that way, are they talking about Orochi? I thought to myself. The women continued to laugh as they walked away in the palace walls.

So loud I thought to my self as I peered up at the sky. The sun was now going down and the stars faintly shown in the violet sky. The wind was calming but cool at the same time, I shivered before moving away from the garden and back into the palace.
***
"What's this about you wanting to use a sword!?"
I flinched at the angry voice busting into my bed room. I had been sitting on the bed brushing my hair in the mirror. Mengyao stood in front of me, we met eye to eye for the first time.

"Are you opposed to the idea?"
I asked as I placed the brush in my lap and patted beside me. He looked as if he were going to explode, but he took a deep breath and hesitated to sat next to me.

" you aren't easy to handle, why do you treat me like I am a child I am the emperor!"
He asked mumbling as he held his head down. I looked at him curiously and placed my hand on his soft black hair. He seemed against it but allowed it. He sighed and looked at me.

"You are a child with a heavy title, surely you get tired of being treated like an adult sometimes, right?"
I said with a little humor in my voice. He remained silence, but seemed heavily affected by my words. We sat in silence for a while before he cleared his throat.

"Well then I will allow you to learn the sword, but with only 1 condition."
He said quickly, my eyes lit up as he spoke.

"What is it?"
I asked impatiently.

"I am to be at your training at every session."
He said firmly as he stared me straight I'm the eyes, I felt uncomfortable but nodded my head to his request.

"Good your first training session with Choi will be in two days, something important has come up so it was postponed."
He said as he got up from the bed and made his way to the door I followed him.

"What's happening?"
I asked curiously, he looked up at me and gave me a heavy sigh.

"My mother is coming home tomorrow, before leaving again."
He said with annoyance. I felt a surge of nervousness, though I had never felt the pressure before I knew the Empress dowager was not to be taken lightly. He seemed to read my face

"Not to worry, I think she would adore the likes of you over the others, and wouldn't mind if we got married."
He said with confidence, I stared at at him, burning holes in his hair. He began to walk out but quickly turned around.

"I almost forgot, this came for you earlier this morning.
He pulled out a letter with a red seal on the front. I took it and nearly cried out.

From: the Hon Shi Empire
To: Jiayang Hon Shi

Big bold letters were written neatly over the top of the letter. I roughly ran my fingers threw Mengyao's hair before flashing him a quick honest smile.

"Thank you."
I said unable to contain my happiness, I quickly closed the door and sat on the bed and opened the letter.

Dear Jiayang,

I don't know what to say or if they
allowed you to see this letter, but it has only been a few days since you left. How are you? Are you getting along with everyone? Are you lonely? Ever since you left its felt like my whole being doesn't have meaning, but with mother by my side I feel a bit better. Who is by your side Jiayang? Always know I am by your side, physical or not. Please keep in touch or i won't survive.

Love,
Jianyu Hon Shi

My heart squeezed tightly and breathing became hard, I felt my tears over flow as I laid down and curled up on the bed with the letter in my hand. I gripped onto my brother's necklace and cried through the night.