Five

"Lady Jiayang, time to wake up. The Emperor wants to have breakfast with you."
Orochi's voice rung throughout the bed room. I opened my eyes, and gave a heavy sigh, it was the day after my welcoming party, and the first night in my new home.

I rose slowly and gave a large yawn. Rin helped me out of bed and prepared me for breakfast. I was slipped in a light cream colored gown, and tied my black hair up, messily, before being guided by Orochi into the dinning room.

Wonderful aromas of many different types of foods filled the air. Servants rushed around from the dinning room to the kitchen placing food on the table. I sat in one of the luxurious dinning chairs, I fully opened my eyes to see Emperor Mengyao sitting across from me looking annoyed.

"It took you a while to get here, you dared to keep me waiting."
He said sternly, as he crossed his legs in the chair, and crossed his arms. The servants froze at his voice, nervously reacting to his every word.

I still felt drowsy and couldn't quite keep my head from bobbing slightly. I heard Mengyao growl angrily, I opened my eyes slightly from the smell of something strong. A cup of dark looking liquid was placed in front of me. I furrowed my brow at the smell and covered my nose, I glanced at Orochi who had brought my the drink.

"What is that horrid smell?"
I asked, fully awake. Orochi smiled and took the cup away, before whispering into my ear.

"You are spoiling your rare chance to gain favor with the emperor."
He said with haste before walking away to the kitchen, the other servants had disappeared as well leaving the two of us here alone.

Now fully awake I finally recognized the position I was in. I stared directly at Mengyao, with a curious gaze. He furrowed his brow and gritted his teeth.

"Is there something on your mind?"
He asked trying to sound as polite as possible. I grabbed my chop sticks and looked around the table for something good to eat, but most of the food was unusual and foreign to me.

"Why visit me if you don't want to?"
I asked not looking up at him, still scanning the table. He flinched as he was unprepared for such a question.

"It is only proper etiquette of an emperor meeting new family",
he said quietly as he continued to stare me down. I looked up when he said family, I must have looked surprised because he gave me a face that seemed amused and confused.

"Concubines are not usually considered as family, mostly whores," I said as I spotted something I wanted and began to eat mild paced.

"You are a marriage candidate which doesn't make you a whore, unless you don't impress me and I don't choose you,"
There was a hint of smugness in his voice, but I didn't look at him, my focus was on a strip of meat that had been fried. He cleared his throat trying to get my attention, I sighed and nibbled on the meat and looked him in the eye.

"Listen, I have no intention of seducing a child so don't expect much from me,"
I said calmly looking him in the eyes. There was a surprised look in his sea green eyes, his jaw hung slightly before he closed it and looked at me angrily.

"You have just offended the Emperor,"
He said as he rose his voice and uncrossed his legs. I calmly got up and bowed my head sincerely.

"I deeply apologize allow me to excuse myself and reflect on my actions,"
I said as I rose my head to see a strange longing look on his face, but I quickly turned away and walked out of the room.

***
"You have certainly offended the Emperor, I'd be surprised if you weren't killed tonight."
Orochi spat as he walked in front of me, I walked slowly taking in the beautiful large garden in the center of the palace.

"Are you angry with me Orochi?"
I asked as I loomed over him, he stopped and sighed.

"No, I simply want what's best for you. If seducing the emperor is not in your best interest then I will respect your wishes,"
He said as he started walking again. I grinned broadly and I ruffled his soft hair. I felt him flinch but he waited till I was done.

I suddenly heard snickering and saw two familiar faces, they were concubines that I saw at the party. They were staring at us, and laughing so obviously.

"Why are they laughing I wonder?"
I asked as I looked down at Orochi. He stayed silent and continued to guide me through the garden.

Loud clanking sounds echoed through the center of the palace, I was left alone while Orochi attended to some chores. There was a pathway of fire lillies that led to an open field. There were archery targets, wooden swords and real swords and other weapons scattered everywhere. Many men were training in the many activities. I walked down the path a little more until someone noticed me.

"Excuse me?"
A soft voice came from a large man. He approached me and stood in front of me as if he didn't want me to go any closer.

"Your a concubine right? What are you doing down here?"
He asked as he plastered a small smile.

"I am curious on the activities going on behind you, why do you stop me?"
I asked annoyed he tensed and scratched the back of his neck.

"This is a military training field, I wouldn't want you wandering in."
He looked uncomfortable and didn't look me in the eye.

"Why because I am a woman, I should be interested in embroidery or daily house care activities? You are out of turn to suggest such a thing, if you don't want my words to burn you like fire, I suggest you move aside."
I snapped and glared at him."

He froze and I could see him turn a strange color of pale. He silently moved aside and I walked gracefully past him, I glanced back to see him unmoving and staring at me with a lazy jaw.

"What are you waiting for are you going to show me around, or look like a dumbfounded fool!?"

***
"Well that was the whole area of the field that we use."
The sun was now a blood orange and the breeze began to feel a little chilly. Many of the soldiers looked at me like I was a rare bird, out if place. I walked over to a man handling a sword, as I approached he looked terrified.

"Who teaches you how to use that?",
I asked sternly and demanding.
He pointed to a tall thin man with long black hair, he was talking to a soldier before noticing us and coming over. He was fully equipped with swords, there was a long scar that covered his left eye, his black eyes squinted at me as he approached. I looked up at him without flinching.

"What is a woman doing here?",
He asked not making eye contact and seemed to be talking to the other men. I remained silent and continued to look at him instead my look turned into a glare.

He finally made eye contact and made a frown.

"What is a string bean of man doing here and not training with these men, surely your status as general is not a disability."
I smirked and snapped back. There were loud gasp between the men, some seemed to fear that he would kill me on the spot. He loomed over me with a dark look in his eye.

His body began to shake as he bent over and covered his face with his long hair. All was quiet until a soilder walked over to him.

"Sir.. are you alright?"