Eleven

It had been a week since I last saw Mengyao, and since he told me his birthday was coming up, the palace had been vigrously preparing for it. Many attendants and concubines seemed to be wandering around the palace, looking a bit lost.

I sat at my window and brushed my hair, watching the active life outside. Lin and Ming were in my room, cleaning quickly as if they were expecting guest.

"When is Mengyao's birthday?"
I asked to them as I got up from my space and walked over to them.

"In a week, have you prepared a gift for him yet?"
Ming asked with a curious look on her face. I shook my head, as I prepared to leave my room. I slipped on a light white kimono, as I tied my hair up into a ponytail. My black hair swished around my waist, despite being up.

"I'll see you guys later, can I have a hot bath when I return?"
I asked sheepish, feeling weird about asking for something. Ming had a shocked look on her face, suddenly letting a big grin free.

"Of course."
She said excitedly, I smiled back and made my way to sword practice.

It no longer felt so warm outside as it did when I arrived here, the air was now crisp and a bit chilly. Many concubines would stay inside at this time, but there were a few walking around.

"Look it's the barbarian, who calls herself a wife of the Emperor."
I heard whispers from a group of concubines, I continued to walk ignoring them.

"I don't think she all that bad."
A sweet small voice said loudly enough so I could hear. I turned back to see the same concubine that resembled me. Her long black hair was pulled back from her face, as she wore a warm violet hanfu. I caught her eye and she smiled at me, I smiled and continued walking. I hope I catch her name later, I thought happily.

As I approached the training grounds, the sound of swords clashing echoed through the air, I got excited and hurried along. I stared in surprise to see Mengyao and Choi sparing with each other. Mengyao seemed to be a ruthless attacker not giving his enemy a chance, while Choi seemed to be defensive. I didn't make a noise and watched them fight. For what felt like an hour, Mengyao seized an opening in Choi and ended the fight.

"Good match, Emperor"
Choi said respectfully as well as excited as the Emperor helped him up. Mengyao smiled proudly knowingly he had won agasint a general. I slowly made my way to them, until Choi noticed me.

"Jia, your here, were you watching the fight?"
He asked, his eyes were wide and his smile was wild, I could see the adrenaline was still pumping through his veins. I nodded, as I turned to Mengyao.

"Congrats on winning."
I said cheerfully to him, his smile was just as big as Choi's.

"Well I'll be over there, continue practice."
He said excitedly he walked to the edge of the sparing circle, with gaurds around him. I was handed a sword from one of the soldiers.

"Please don't go easy on me, like you did the Emperor."
I said with a smirk, Choi scoffed and stood ready.

"Of course not, your a woman."
He said, I could tell he didn't mean it but when it came to disgracing a woman, I felt more powerful than ever to prove it wrong.

***
Choi fell to the ground clumsily, as I stood over him, with a smile grin. He wasn't mad at all at his losses,he seemed like he was having more fun the anything else.

"As usually I stand corrected."
He said with a loud laughter, I grinned widely as I helped him up. I looked over at Mengyao to see he was watching the fight intensely, and his smile practicality touched his ears, an idea hit me hard.

"Choi, for Mengyao's birthday I was to preform a sword dance, assist me."
I said quietly to him, Choi looked surprised, but nodded. He looked over at Mengyao and then down at me.

"Well we need to get him to stop coming to your practices."
He whispered, I shook my head and sighed.

"He will never stop coming, he promised he would be here every time."
I said remembering when he made me promise as well. Choi thought for a moment.

"Then we will practice at night."
He said suddenly, I looked up at him and thought that could work. I nodded and he smiled a bit.

"Alright we will start tomorrow night after practice, don't let him see you ok?"
Choi whispered as he made his way over to Mengyao, I bowed to him from a distance and made my way home, excited about midnight practice and my hot bath awaiting.