Fifteen

The next day I prepared for my travels to the Hon Shi empire. News traveled quickly in the palace, causing unusual glances at me due to being the cause of this uproar. Many if the concubines snickered and whispered behind my back, about how Mengyao would come to hate me. It wasn't a surprise that Mengyao didn't visit me, he was a whole different person last we met, speaking to him now would make me uncomfortable.

I sat on my bed and stared out the window in empty thought, watching the colorful trees, that had shown many colors or red, swayed back and forth with the calming breeze, that smelled of autumn. I had been waiting for the carriage to take me home- my old home. I Smiled to myself as this felt like deja vu, from when I was on the way to this Empire.

There was a light rapping on my room door, causing me to snap out of my trance, the door opened without permission, only to see Lin and Ming standing there with lifeless faces.

"What's the matter you two?"
I asked curiously as they walked farther into the room and stood a few inches away.

"My lady, we ask if we can accompany you."
Ming asked quietly as she looked down at what seemed like my feet, which dangled off the edge of the bed.

"Why the formalities?"
I asked with a smile,Ming in looked up at me with a surprised look on her face.

"Well many people don't like strangers learn about their past lives."
She said timidly, I nodded and rose from my bed and stood in front of her.

"I certainly don't mind if you come, we're friends."
A look of relief washed over her face, eventually a palace guard came and fetched us, all three of us headed out the door.

***
The sun was high above the trees but did nothing for the weather, it was still chilly. The sisters and I wore very warm clothing as the servants packed the carriage with supplies, for our trip. As soon as they were done the sisters crawled inside, I began to get inside before hearing my name.

"Jia wait I'm coming as well."
I turned to see Choi out of breath running up behind me.

"You can't leave the palace unattended, what if there is trouble in the palace."
I said sternly before continuing.
"Besides, Lin and Ming are already accompanying me."

I finished, though Choi wore a satisfied grin before nodding.

"Oh, then that's fine then."
He said with a chuckle before backing away from the carriage before I could say anymore. I shook my head confused as I crawled into the carriage, beginning our long journey to the Hon Shi empire.

***
I had fallen asleep only to be awoken by loud cheering, I got up from Lin's lap quickly and looked around still startled. I nearly cried out at the sight of the palace. The large golden walls were just as I remembered them, as all my memories here began to flood back to me. I poked my head out the window, to see servants dressed is very vibrant colors cheering and rejoicing.

"Welcome home, Lady Jiayang!"
They chanted loudly as the carriage slowly made its way into the palace, I could slowly feel my excitement bubbling. Once inside the palace everything looked different from what I remembered. The koi garden dimmed in comparison to Mengyao's palace, and the trees had yet to turn their colors. I frown and shamed myself for comparing palaces.

We were finally let out of the carriage, and were lead down familiar hallways that made me grin from ear to ear,the palace guide was someone knew but he seemed to know that he was doing.

"You'll will be eating lunch with the Emperor, in about 10mins, miss Jiayang I trust you remember where to go?"

The guide asked with a small grin, I smile brightly back before he walked away with the servants that brought us here.

"This palace is very carefree, Mengyao would never allow servant children to play outside."

Ming said I could hear the excitement in her voice, even Lin looked excited. I chuckled a little before leading them along throughout the palace, I showed them landmarks and important things in the palace, while being gawked at by many of the palace servants.

"My lady it's about time for lunch with your brother."
Ming said she looked a bit nervous. I felt the anxiety in my chest make my heart beat out if control. I hadn't seen my brother in so long, was he different?

We stood outside of the dinning Hall's doors, smelling the beautiful aroma wafting into our noses. The doors were large and were encrusted with silver diamonds and blue jewels around the edges and the door knob.

Ming took a deep breath and opened the doors, to my disappointment, Jianyu was not there yet. The cooks and servants roamed around the table placing food and arranging the table cloths.

Ming and Lin following instinct asked the other servants of they could help out with the arrangements, they were quickly taken into the kitchen leaving me alone. I decided not to sit and get in their way, so I made my way out if the room and walked outside to the once familiar garden.

I looked down into the koi pond to see the majestic fish swim calmly in circles around each other, the rustling of footsteps crunched loudly and clumsily on fallen leaves, I turned around quickly to see Jianyu, who was looking down surprised. He said nothing as he looked down at me, I stared up at him letting my eyes roam his face.

He looked much older now almost like a middle age man, his soft brown eyes were the same, and his black hair was smoothed down making him look extremely handsome. After two or three minutes, Jianyu let a laugh escape, as he flashed his white smile at me.

"Your reaction is not what I was expecting, sister."