Original Chapter Fourteen: Not Giving Up, Not Giving In

~Chapter Fourteen: Not Giving Up, Not Giving In~

"So, why didn't you get these before?"

The new curtains are dark blue with light blue edges. They are thick enough to keep anyone from seeing in, but the light still shows through the fabric enough that one can tell if it is morning or night. Nero had them put up while we were at breakfast and it was a nice surprise to come back to. He is not as excited as I am, but he was not the one who wanted them, so I can't blame him.

Nero looks up from the book he was reading – one without a title – to look at me, and then the curtains. "I like seeing the ocean," he replies, returning his attention to the book.

His answer makes me pause, and then throw the curtains open to reveal the vast ocean. Nero does not even glance up, already lost in his book once more, but the view is nice enough that I leave it open for my own pleasure. I have already gotten over having people look at me while they swim by the window, so leaving them open most of the time won't bother me much. As long as the curtains are closed when I am sleeping or during sex, the windows can just remain unblocked the rest of the time.

I am just starting to truly admire the view of the kingdom and all the Mer swimming about below when a large grey shape moves to cover the part of the window that I am looking out of. I jump back, releasing a strangled sound of surprise, making Nero look up from his book in concern. However, when he sees what startled me, he just huffs in amusement before returning to his book.

The shark swims in a few tight circles in front of the window before starting to pace-swim around and above the room. "Does it have a name?" I ask, gesturing up as the shark swims over my head and disappears above the ceiling.

Nero shakes his head, still focused on his book, "We just call him 'shark'."

"Then I'm going to give him one," I decide. If it is going to be hanging around for a while, it will need a name. "Finny Glitterfin."

"I'm sorry?" Nero asks, looking up from his book to stare at me like I grew a second head.

I wave my hand dismissively at his obvious concern because, no, I am not crazy. "I'm hoping that if I give it a funny name, it will seem less scary," I inform him, and then pause as it comes back into view from the left, "though I think it might just make it more likely to eat me."

"It's not going to eat you, Atasah-aum," Nero replies, clearly entertained that I still think it is only waiting until I let my guard down.

I eye the shark as it disappears to the right, "You say that, but it's not like you can tell what its thinking. Maybe it is just trying to figure out when it is the best time to eat me. Maybe I was too salty last time."

Nero snorts, but does not correct me. Though, I suspect that has more to do with exasperation than actually believing that I am right. Silence falls over the room as Nero focuses on his book and I watch the shark start to approach the fish that have been avoiding it. Soon, the only sound is of pages turning.

"You know," I start, breaking the silence. Nero does not spare me a glance, but I know he is – probably – listening, so I continue, "you said there was more we had to talk about yesterday and you told me to wait until after breakfast when I brought it up this morning. It's after breakfast."

The book closes with a snap and Nero tosses it at me. I just barely catch it before it can hit the ground. He ignores the questioning look I give him. "Read the last few pages," he instructs, but doesn't explain why. I open the book at the end, only to find the pages are blank. Confused, I flip through it until I find the last page with writing on it.