Chapter Nineteen: Unsuspecting Expected Visitors

~Chapter Nineteen: Unsuspecting Expected Visitors~

"Captain Sidr, I'm getting married."

One of the younger Hellions drops his sword, which earns him an immediate cuff on the back of the head from another Hellion since no soldier should ever drop his weapon like that. Considering the fact that the rest of them look as bewildered as the youngest one, though, they do not seem like they blame him. Sidr, though, is the most confused by my announcement.

However, instead of ordering me to explain better, he drops the commanding officer act all together. "What in Skuure's name did you do this time, Atasah?" He asks, and he just sounds so tired in the way that I have only ever heard him sound after I do something crazy or stupid.

And this time, maybe it's a bit of both.

"We got engaged about a week ago due to extenuating circumstances," I admit, gesturing towards Nero to point out exactly who I am with since I am pretty sure Sidr thinks Felix is Nero.

Sidr holds up a hand. "Back up," he says, and behind him, the Hellions start to lower their weapons, apparently deciding that the situation no longer requires hostility, which in turn lets the Mer guards relax. "When did you even start dating?"

The king, who is apparently content to remain silent while the Hellions calm down, glances sharply at Nero and me, likely wondering the same thing that I am. "Didn't...you get my letter?" I ask hesitantly, because that is not a question he would ask if he had read it. I explained in detail how Nero and I met and that he is my cure.

"Our squad has been disconnected from the mail service for at least three weeks," Sidr explains, all the while eyeing Nero.

I grimace. That barely even crossed my mind as a possibility when I sent it.

"How about we take this conversation to a more comfortable location, Captain?" Leander says, reasserting his presence in the conversation. And though my mentor does not show it overtly, I do not fail to notice the slight twitch of his brow that suggest that he had forgotten about the king entirely.

So much for diplomacy, eh, Sidr? I tease telepathically, and silently revel in the way my mentor makes a minute face of horror before shooting a glare my way.

"We would be grateful, Your Majesty," my mentor says, dipping his head a little in a small, formal bow while he puts away his sword. Almost immediately, the Hellions sheathe their own weapons, and after a beat and a dismissal wave of the king's hand, the Mer guards return their spears to their normally upright position by their sides, once again harmless.

The walk to our next location is a bit uncomfortable. While Sidr wants to walk next to me, he cannot leave the king's side without discarding his manners, and Nero does not want me to leave his side. Considering the fact that the only other option is for Nero to drag me back to our room so he can set down the ground rules he and Felix were talking about, though, I am not going to argue about not walking next to my mentor. Especially not since there are two demons flanking us in the familiar formation of escorting important people. It is just a little odd to think that I am currently one of those people.

It also helps that I do not need to be next to Sidr to hold a conversation with him, even if it is very taxing on my magic. He's my cure, you know, I tell Sidr telepathically, though I keep it to just my mentor; the other demons do not need to know what Nero is to me. If Sidr wants to tell them, then that is fine, but none of these demons are part of my squad, so I am not sure if I trust them or not, even if I do recognize them more or less.

Sidr does not quite stumble, but it is a very close thing, and I am not the only one to notice, as the other demons immediately become alert to the captain. However, he subtly waves his hand by his side. While it does not ease anyone's concern, as a highly-trained captain misstepping for no reason while in not-quite-trustworthy-yet territory is always worrying, no one says anything.