Chapter Nine: In and Out of Trouble

~Chapter Nine: In and Out of Trouble~

"Let me–"

Not letting me finish, Nero pushes me into his room in front of him before shutting the door behind us. If I had the magic for it, my palms would have been smoking, but as things are, I can only turn on my heels and glare at the Mer. He stops a few paces away, his arms crossed and expression set in disapproval. "That was very stupid, Atasah," Nero states, his voice cold but too angry to be indifferent.

I cross my arms as well. "I wasn't trying to escape," I inform him.

And though his anger does appear to shift into a wary confusion, he still narrows his eyes at me. "Then why did you pick the lock and attempt to approach one of the exits?" Nero demands, and I will admit that it probably looks like I was intent on breaking a promise right after making it, but I definitely was not.

But how do I explain that I was just looking for a way to break out...without actually admitting that?

"I was just exploring," I defend, as that is about as close to the truth as I can get without admitting something that will likely just get me in trouble.

"And you couldn't have waited until I got back? I was planning to give you a tour later," Nero says, and, okay, if I had known that, maybe I would not have felt the need to go out on my own, but I honestly had no idea he was planning to actually show me around. After all, if I wanted to keep a 'guest' around on a more permanent basis, I would have conveniently forgotten or been too busy for a tour.

I shrug in an attempt to appear nonchalant. "It was boring in here."

"I was gone for ten minutes," Nero says, flinging his arm out in aggravation. And, well, his anger is a bit justified; that was a pretty bad lie. "What were you really doing?"

Plan B then.

Ducking my head in an attempt to appear reluctantly – and, really, it is not just an act – I grudgingly admit, "There are people on land who probably think I'm dead or worse. I don't want them to worry more than they have to."

Nero's expression softens slightly, though he still looks suspicious. "You swear you weren't trying to leave?"

"I swear to Skuure that I wasn't trying to leave," I confirm, leaving the 'yet' unsaid. "I keep my promises."

The Mer hums quietly in thought before taking a few steps towards me. Judging from the considering look on his face, this is something of a test, so I force myself not to back away or flinch when he reaches for me. Because though he has not given me any reason to be wary of his touch – in fact, quite the opposite – I still do not trust an angry person not to lash out.

Thankfully, though, he does not give me a reason to start to distrust him, as all he does is carefully grab my shoulder with one hand while his other rests on my waist. The fact that he is shorter than me is a bit awkward, and I hunch my shoulders a little, suddenly uncomfortable under the weight of his gaze. When he was angry, it was easier to ignore, as I have experience dealing with angry people in the army, but now he is calm, and a collected Nero seems to be a lot scarier than an angry one.

"I'm glad," Nero says after a moment, the hand on my waist slowly sliding to my back, where he starts running his hand along my spine. It sends shivers down my spine, and I slowly let him turn his touching into a hug, which I carefully return. Relative stranger or not, he is still my soulmate, and he is warm.

"How did you find me, anyway?"

"In the interest of being able to catch you off guard again the next time you undoubtedly try something like this time, I'll keep it to myself," Nero replies, stepping back without releasing me and gently tugging me towards the couch. I resist, though, and he thankfully does not start pulling me along anyway. Instead, he lets go and sits down, patting the seat next to him invitingly. "Before we go any further, let's talk. There are some things we need to cover before we go further."