Chapter Twenty: Atasah the Diplomat

~Chapter Twenty: Atasah the Diplomat~

"What do you intend to do with the lieutenant now that you have found him again?"

Sidr eyes the king across the table from him before tilting his head to the side in thought. "Originally, I intended to find him and return him to the Hellions to rejoin the fight," my mentor says, and I do not need to look at Nero to know that he tenses at the statement. "However, now that I've seen the situation, I feel that he could be put to better use here in a diplomatic position between Yabrogath and your kingdom."

...I won't be returning to war?

Had we been alone, Sidr would not have put it like that, but since there are demons who are not necessarily loyal to us but the kingdom or another commander all around us, it is necessary. And the king is quick to catch on. "I believe that would be beneficial. Our kingdom might be willing to reconsider an alliance with enough time and a better understanding of Yabrogathian customs," Leander says, playing along. I am not sure if any of that is true, but the other Hellions seem to be considering the implications, so it is working either way.

After all, Sidr, as a captain, can't say that he would rather I stay safe and protected in the walls of a Mer kingdom, far away from war; that would be treasonous.

"I will have to speak with my superiors about this," Sidr says, "but while we are here, why don't we discuss the matter of this prison, which I'm sure we will both agree that it needs to be taken down?"

"Certainly," the king says, but before they continue, he turns to look at us. "Nero, why don't you and Atasah finish breakfast? This might take a while, and I'm sure you're both still hungry."

I open my mouth to protest, as I want to spend more time with Sidr, even if I would rather not hear more talk about the prison, but my mentor cuts me off, "I won't leave without saying goodbye, Atasah. Go eat before your magic eats you."

Though that is not actually how our magic works, it is still an old phrase often said to naughty children who refuse to eat their vegetables, and judging from the looks on the other Hellions' faces, they all find it hilarious. Rolling my eyes, I stand up with Nero and let him pull me from meeting room.

As soon as we are out in the empty hallway and the doors close behind us, though, I hesitate. "So," I start, "how much trouble would you say I'm in?"

Nero looks back at me - look up at me, really, since I am still in my demon form - and his dark expression says it all. "A fair amount," he says, his tone too light for the subject. However, his face shifts to something hard, and he turns around, grabbing both of my hands in his before I can say anything in response. "But remember this, Atasah - I'm not angry you wanted to see your family; I understand that need well."

I open my mouth to reply, but he cuts me off, "What I am angry about is that you disobeyed my orders, involved the guards in chasing you around the castle, and ran into an unknown, potentially dangerous situation."

"But it was Sidr," I argue, because while the first two might be correct, it is not like I was guessing that it was Sidr. No one can hide who they are when using telepathy; it is something we just instinctively know unless the person is completely unknown to us, and even then, we still get a sense of the demon talking.

"Did you know who he was with?" Nero asks.

My brow furrows. "No, but-"

"Then you didn't know it was safe."

Scowling, I shake my head. "Sidr wouldn't have let me walk into a dangerous situation without warning," I inform him. And upon seeing how skeptical he looks, I add, "Our telepathy can be directed a specific person, so none of the other demons heard what we were saying."