Chapter One | The Project

Monday - January 1, 2018

                            | H E N R Y |

Bianca's Brazilian blow-out is a lengthy brown water-fall cascading over her right shoulder. She's laser-focused on her phone, thumbs moving a thousand miles a minute. Her nails clacked across the screen. Bright red lips chewed at the pen cap between them, doey hazel eyes. Tight black jeans, white off the shoulder halter top, and 3 gold necklaces around her throat. I'm usually impressed. I moved my gaze up and down her body carefully, the things I'd like to do to-

"Ahem!"

A cough interrupted mid-fantasy. My gaze flickered diagonal to the source: Charlotte fucking Bolton. Abyss black hair- wild and curly. Untamed. She's picking at something between her fingernails. Probably dirt. She looks even more stoned and miserable today than she did in yesterday. I let my eyes adjust to the ugly plaid vest with metal alterations and black Doc Martin boots she decided to put on her body this morning.

Sharp black winged eyeliner. Silver piercing in the left corner of her nose. Stupid plain brown eyes, bratty pout with glossy lips smacking away at a price of gum. A beauty mark under her left eye, didn't even have to look to know it was there. She's a drop in the bucket compared to Bianca. That's when Ms. Sharpen's voice sliced through my thoughts.

"You have all been chosen by the Board of Education specifically to participate in this program as some of SwellView High's top performing students of my class this year."

She was gathering assignment papers across her desk as she spoke.

"This is your chance to be a part of something much bigger than just your education here at SwellView, but to prove to yourselves you're worthy of the privilege to compete."

She paused dramtically, raising a thin black eyebrow. She glanced from one disinterested face to another. Letting her eyes linger between the aisles. Across the rows of desks. Somebody opened back or chips. Charlotte popped her gum. A pencil dropped. More coughs. Squeaking chairs and shuffling papers.

"There's also a 250,000$ cash prize for the family that makes it to the end of the program, happy, healthy, and having learned something sincerely. Plus a passing grade and a one way ticket to the college of your choices right after graduation."

Holy shit. I shot up in my seat. Abruptly, the sound of boredom was replaced by a buzz of collective surprise. The girls to my left grabbed their friends by the wrists, mouths agape at what Ms. Shapen just said. A ripple of excitement filled the classroom, spreading like wildfire. Ms. Shapen stood at the center of the room with a dozen manila folders tucked tightly into her chest, as if she was protecting them. She waited for the room to get quiet again before she spoke.

"This program only comes around once in a lifetime not all of you will be invited to take part. This will determine who makes it out of highschool with a diploma..."

She gave one of her one of her more severe glances at the corner of the class where some of the others were whispering and giggling amongst each other.

"And who starts working at the Burger Barn next summer."

The giggling suddenly faded off as there was a more serious note to her tone. Not a chance and hell would I be caught dead flipping burgers at the Burger Barn with the other degenerates. In my perspective, this thing was gonna be a piece of fuckin cake project. Easy A. All I had to do was babysit and makeout with my girlfriend for free? On an all expense paid vacation? Say less. I smiled to myself, unable to hide it.

"I want you all to quietly calm down and listen. I will not be repeating myself. Mr. Ford- pencil down, you're a student at SwellView not a serial killer. Regina, I'm sure that can wait. Eyes and ears up to where I can see them please, everyone!"