Chapter 9: "When You're Gone"

Mitsuki's throat had recovered significantly since the operation, and today like many others found her in the back of her house singing along with Madoka's new CD. She was dismayed to find that she could not project nearly as loudly as she had been able to as Full Moon, and wondered to herself if the strength she had felt then would ever return.

Oh, Takuto, where are you, she thought to herself, as she sang along, "Tell me something I need to know~" one of the surprisingly more upbeat tunes on the CD, Love Me Harder. Her school friends were supposed to meet her soon, so Mitsuki shut off the CD player and went to the front of the house to wait for them.

As she stood outside, a light breeze billowed her clothing and soothed her, inspiring Mitsuki to begin humming to herself. Lost in her music, she was startled as her friends suddenly appeared in front of her.

"Wow, Mitsuki, you even hum well!" said Yuri.

"Yeah!" chimed in the other two.

Mitsuki blushed and said "thank you", then the three girls followed her to her room. Sitting comfortably on the floor, they talked about school, music, life, parents, and of course, boys. The school semester was rapidly approaching its close, and traditionally her school held a dance for those about to graduate. Mitsuki and her friends were eager to go, being that it may be their final chance at seeing all of their classmates from the past several years.

"Yuri is thinking about asking Saoho to the dance," said Camille, causing her friend to blush.

"Isn't he supposed to ask her, though?" stated Tomoe, nodding her head as if it were absolutely true.

"But he never will, he's too shy," replied Camille, obviously ignoring Yuri's red face as she continued the conversation.

"W-what about you, Camille? Who will you go with?" Yuri stumbled, forcedly changing the subject.

"I think I'm going to ask Vince-senpai," said Camille dreamily, Yuri's feint obviously succeeding.

"Vince-senpai? He's already in high school!" said Mitsuki.

"Yes, but he's so cuuuuute!" replied Camille, and all four laughed out loud.

"What about you, Mitsuki?" asked Tomoe, "I know that Pootis-kun has been looking at you a lot lately, and we saw you talking to Shinji-kun yesterday, did either of them ask you?"

Mitsuki shook her head, "No, I was just helping him with some notes from class."

"Oh, who do you want to go with, then?" continued Tomoe.

"Or will you finally bring your mystery guy!" concluded Camille, at which Tomoe and Yuri jumped on her to silence her.

Mitsuki was unphased by the question, though, "I think I'll just go myself, and watch you all. I know I'll have a good time!" she exclaimed.

"Aww, Mitsuki!" said Yuri, as Tomoe admonished Camille in the background, whispering, "You know she's sensitive about that, Camille!"

"Eh, it's ok, Tomoe. I honestly wish I could introduce you to him, but I'm not sad about it anymore, I promise," Mitsuki said, even believing it herself.

"I know!" said Camille suddenly, turning to Tomoe and Yuri, "Forget about Vince-senpai, I'm going with Mitsuki!"

"Oh!" said Tomoe, "Me too! If anyone asks me, I'll just tell them I already have a date!"

Mitsuki blushed and said, "Oh no! Please don't, just for me!"

"But like you said, Mitsuki, we'll all have fun anyway, I think it'll be more fun going with you all than with some boy," said Tomoe, having already made up her mind.

Wakana only blushed and sat quietly, evidently still desiring to go with some boy. Finally she spoke up, as Camille and Tomoe stared at her fiercely, "I-I'll go too, I guess..."

"Wakana, it's ok, if Taho asks, you should say yes! We can still meet at the dance."

"Really, Mitsuki? That's ok with you?"

"Of course it is! We all know how long you've been waiting for him to ask you out, don't say no just because of us!"

"Yeah, she's right, we'll be there to support you, Yuri," chimed in Camille.

"Ok, it's settled!" said Tomoe, "Now we just have to get Taho to ask her out..."

The hours passed quickly, and Mitsuki was again left alone to think about the search for Takuto. Wakaoji had taken her to many different bars and clubs these past few weeks, and Mitsuki had heard more rock music than she'd heard her entire life, met more band members than she had ever known existed, and still not found even a lead to the one person for whom she was searching.

Wakaoji was certainly trying hard, though, and even Ooshige had been keeping her ears open in the superstar circuit, but every possibility had turned out to be a dead end.

At least I'm not so gloomy anymore, Mitsuki thought to herself, turning her attention to the mound of homework that had been piled upon her what with the school year fast approaching its close.

"I guess next year I'll have even more homework to do," she said aloud, and opened up her math textbook.

Eventually she finished with her regular homework, and Mitsuki took out a special binder which she had bought for herself. Glitter laced the front cover, blue sparkles highlighting a reddish pink cover. Opening to the first blank page, she wrote, "Though I think of you so much, I get on with my lif..." erased from "I get" and sat staring at the page for a while again. "Takuto, Eichi. Mom and dad. What do I want to say to you now?"

Again putting pencil to paper, Mitsuki continued, "time has passed softly, leaves fallen and changed to snow, now the snow is melting as the sun comes out today."

"Hmm," she thought aloud as she tapped the tip of the pencil on her desk, "it sounds ok, but I can't sing that."

Heaving a heavy sigh, Mitsuki placed the notebook and pencil down and closed her eyes, singing softly to herself in her mind, the tune flowing so willingly that soon the words followed.

I always needed time on my own
I never thought I'd
Need you there when I cry
And the days feel like years when I'm alone
And the bed where you lie
Is made up on your side

When you walk away
I count the steps that you take
Do you see how much I need you right now?

When you're gone
The pieces of my heart are missin' you
When you're gone
The face I came to know is missin', too
When you're gone
The words I need to hear
To always get me through the day
And make it okay
I miss you

I've never felt this way before
Everything that I do
Reminds me of you
And the clothes you left, they lie on the floor
And they smell just like you
I love the things that you do

When you walk away
I count the steps that you take
Do you see how much I need you right now?

When you're gone
The pieces of my heart are missin' you
When you're gone
The face I came to know is missin', too
When you're gone
The words I need to hear
To always get me through the day
And make it okay
I miss you

We were made for each other
Out here forever
I know we were
Yeah, yeah
And all I ever wanted was for you to know
Everything I do, I give my heart and soul
I can hardly breathe; I need to feel you here with me
Yeah

When you're gone
The pieces of my heart are missin' you
When you're gone
The face I came to know is missin', too
When you're gone
The words I need to hear

Will always get me through the day
And make it okay
I miss you

(A/N: This song is entitled "When You're Gone" by Avril Lavigne )