Chapter 4:"The New CD and Changes!"

"Wow!"

"Do you like it?"

"Who wouldn't?"

"My plushy American pug, I guess? Just kidding."

"Wow, just wow," exclaimed Mitsuki, "Wow! This is so neat! You're so beautiful, Madoka-san!" for on the cover of the CD she held in her hand, Madoka stood wrapped in color swaths of orange and gold, greens and reds, and blues which somehow complemented her shimmering long hair and sparkling eyes.

Mitsuki looked up with a smile on her face, causing Madoka to blush, "Thank you, Mitsuki! It's my new CD, I wanted you to have it before anyone else.  Do you think the title is good?" 

Falling into Grace was emblazoned on the side panel in dazzling gold letters. "Wow, it's so cool!" Mitsuki said.

"I thought the title was appropriate, because I changed so much.  Besides, Takasu-sensei said it fit my new image.  I don't know though, I don't think I've established one yet, especially since Full Moon disappeared,"  Madoka said, the last bit with more than just a hint of sadness, which tugged at Mitsuki's heartstrings for more reasons than just Madoka's lamentation.

"I'm sure she'll be back one day," Mitsuki said, though she doubted the possibility herself, the thought leading her to think of Takuto once again.  Her sudden sadness caught Madoka by surprise, though she misinterpreted Mitsuki's dismay as simply her missing Full Moon.  How true it was, though once again for far more reasons than Madoka might think. 

"I hope so, Mitsuki.  You know, I really liked listening to her sing.  She has such a beautiful voice," and paused, "You know, you sound like her sometimes," Madoka thought out loud, startling Mitsuki again.

"Oh, me? No, I don't think..."

"No, it's true! I hear you singing out back by yourself sometimes when I come over, and you have a really pretty voice!  Maybe when you're better you can audition and can become an idol, too.  I know! I'll set up an interview with Takasu-sensei!"

Mitsuki trademarkedly put her hand above her head and squinted her eyes again, laughing as the tear formed in the corner by her right temple.  "Oh, umm... I... ummm."

Madoka laughed, and suddenly got up as she noticed the time on her watch, "Oh no! I have to get to the studio, I have a shoot tonight! Bye Mitsuki!" and bowing, "Farewell, grandmother, I'll see you soon! Thank you!"

Madoka's leaving the house created a sudden void where her presence had been, and made the house seem unnaturally quiet.  Mitsuki only sat staring at the CD for a time. 

. . .

Finally, her grandmother got up and gently took the CD from Mitsuki.  "Tanaka-san, could you please bring us your radio?" she asked, causing no small amount of shock to run through both Mitsuki and Tanaka-san. 

"Yes, yes, of course, ma'am," was the reply, and little time passed before she rushed into the room with her little portable music box and plugged it into the wall.  "What would you like to listen to, ma'am?"

"Why, this new CD of Madoka-chan, of course, please put it in for us, and," she said, pausing slightly before finishing, "you can finish cleaning afterwards, if you'd like to listen with us."

"Thank you, ma'am, of course," came the excited reply, and it was but moments before they were listening to Madoka's rather sad, slow opening song, My Falling Tears.

Finally the last song came to a close, an upbeat melody more in line with Madoka's former style entitled Coming Back to Me"... will I just be the same even though I've come so far, or will there be a new person staring through the mirror?" asked the song.

Full Moon, Mitsuki thought wistfully to herself as the song played through.  I wonder if I'll be able to keep our promise to everyone.

Her grandmother noticed her sudden sullenness, "Mitsuki, do you have any homework?" she asked in an attempt to lighten her granddaughter's mood.

"I finished it earlier, grandmother," replied Mitsuki, her eyes focused on nothing as they gazed at the table in front of her.  Her thoughts flew back to Takuto yet again, slid gently by Eichi-kun, and came back to rest on Madoka's songs. "I really liked Madoka's songs, did you like them, too?" she asked.

"They were pleasant.  It was kind of her to bring it here. You must find something to give her in return."

"Yes, grandmother, I will."

"Full Moon has a more soothing voice.  And... you do sound like her," her grandmother trailed off, as she gazed pensively at Mitsuki's downcast eyes, before rising and heading to her bedroom. "I wonder what became of that girl."

Mitsuki's eyes watered slightly as her grandmother left the room, nearly forgetting Tanaka-san until the maid rose from nearby to finish her household duties.  Before leaving, she turned to ask, "Mitsuki-chan, I can't find your bunny and cat, did you lose them somewhere?"

At first Mitsuki was too surprised by the question to respond.  Eventually she sobered slightly and simply said, "I... let them go.  Thank you."

Tanaka raised her finger and was about to inquire further, but seeing Mitsuki's expression decided against it, and went off about her chores, leaving Mitsuki alone in the living room.