Chapter 14: "Route L!"

'Wakaoji sure has changed.' thought Takuto to himself, as he sat coming up for the doctor at the café on Azule Street. 'He was always a nice person, but now he seems so serious about something, too, and ... so light-hearted. He seems...'

Suddenly, Wakaoji had entered the door simultaneously had waved to Takuto, as his bravura, genuine smile blistered on his face easing Takuto's initial bristling, which had long been his initial reaction to everyone around him. Wakaoji sat down, not bothering to remove the lab coat he had worn evidently to further ease Takuto's mind, and proceeded to remove numerous folders from his briefcase – his personal briefcase containing pictures, diagrams, x-rays and such regarding the operation.

They sat and spoke for several hours. Wakaoji thoroughly explained the procedure to Takuto, noting how this procedure was different than what had been available several years ago. He emphasized how the angle and mechanics of the new lasers no longer made it necessary to cut through the vocal cords as before, and was thus able to preserve the person's voice, except if the cancer had entirely consumed the throat.

"But then you would be coughing blood every time you spoke, Takuto," Wakaoji answered before the singer could even ask, "Man, I need to take a look at you, though, to see just how far your sarcoma has progressed. But as easily as you speak now, I believe this procedure will go rather smoothly."

Slowly Takuto accepted the idea that he may be able to sing again, and hope lit his soul in a way that nothing had since Mitsuki's parents died so suddenly those years ago. Fighting back tears, Takuto agreed, his concerns about funding waved away swiftly by Wakaoji.

"If you remember, I told you that I became a producer. Let's just say that the girl did very very well. And, it was thanks to you, Takuto," Wakaoji finally breached the subject, sensing calmness and a relaxed spirit from the boy.

"Ah, so you know where I've been these last two years, Wakaoji?" Takuto asked, his frustration building inside again, but this time directed only inward and not at his friend.

"Let's first take care of your throat, Takuto," Wakaoji said firmly, and then perhaps we can see about your memory.

Takuto agreed, his reservations finally making way to the immense desire he felt to once again return to the crowds, the cheering, the spotlight, and most of all, the sound of his own voice singing.

The check-up went rather quickly, and Wakaoji beamed after noting that Takuto's case was less severe than Mitsuki's had been.

The hospital had become something of a news item since the first operation, and though Wakaoji shrugged and smiled at Takuto's questions about how difficult it would be to hold the operation, the reality was rather taxing for the sensei. More than several of his colleagues had approached him with questions, the director of the hospital had asked him to write an extremely detailed analysis of the procedure, with particular note to its extensibility into cancers other than the throat, and the lab had become a training ground on weekends.

For months now, Wakaoji had been tutoring several specialists from most of the major hospitals in the city on the workings of the new machines and technique. Surprisingly, the pressure had not phased the sensei in the slightest, and Wakaoji had eagerly become the tutor, in hopes that others might benefit as Mitsuki had from the simple yet extremely advanced changes made in excising the tumors from the highly complicated area.

Wakaoji finalized plans for the operation, and approached Takuto regarding matters, "Takuto, it was asked of me to allow several other doctors to come and watch the procedure this time. As you are the patient, I must leave it up to you."

"I suppose you would not ask if it would not help. Okay, okay, Wakaoji, I'll allow it. And perhaps it is time I met my benefactor," he added, attempting to make himself sound distant and uninterested, though the truth was quite the opposite, especially as he believed he already knew who it was.