XII

I sit and eat my breakfast in awkward silence. I glance at Hades, who stays silent as he eats his meats. I finish the oatmeal with strawberries and excuse myself. Hazel looks at me for a second, then returns her attention to her food. Taking my dirty plate, I place it into the large bin filled with water. I walk out the door without saying goodbye. I can hear Hazel talking to Hades as I close the door. "Maybe we shouldn't go to the fair, and stay here." I hear Ulla suggest.

"No, I said I would go to the fair to work on us," I state. "We can solve the conflict later." I pick up the tulle skirt of my dress to prevent mud from getting on it. I can say the otherwise for my unfortunate cape and shoes. I can feel Ulla's uneasiness. Going out in public always gives her anxiety. I pull the hood of my cloak lower to hide my face better. This gesture helped relax her nerves. The ruckus from the town sounds close as I continue to walk. I see a mass of people laughing and dancing to the music from a musician. I slip into the crowd with ease.

"It's so lively," Ulla comments with a wonderstruck tone. The laughter and music fill my ears, making me feel happy inside. I can hear merchants trying to sell their overly expensive foreign goods, and I look at the many spices and exotic rugs. A juggler near me had a crowd surrounding him.

"Would the lovely lady like a fur coat?" I hear a corse voice ask. I turn to look at an older man holding out a silver coat out to me. His blue eye shined with greed. He smiled, showing off what's left of his teeth. I shake my head, quite disgusted that he would sell something like that.

"No, thank you." I politely decline. I quickly walk away before he tried to say anything with his filthy mouth. I go to watch the gypsies dance. The woman's body moves with elegance and seduction. Men, along with women, cheer for the woman and give her silvers. Her dark features oozed with a mysterious hypnotic feeling.

I waltz around the fair, amazed by what simple humans can do. How with this annual fair how happy they can be. Where everyone forgets their status and becomes one, it even causes me to get lost in my thoughts. While daydreaming, I accidentally bump into a girl. "I'm sorry," I say. I watch as the girl pulls her forest green hood to cover her face.

"It's alright." Her sweet voice says. Her voice seemed familiar. She's dressed in a thick cape that covers her whole figure.

"Do I know you?" I ask her. The girl looks me in the eyes. A mask covers her upper face. I can see her green eyes look at mine and a smirk form on her lips.

"No." She states. "But soon you'll know who I am." I look at her, confused.

"What?" I ask. She left before she could answer me. "Ulla, do you know that girl?" I ask her.

"No." Ulla answers. "Just ignore her, and enjoy the fair." I bunch my eyebrows together.

"I guess," I say, shrugging it off. In the back of my mind, I think about what she said. I watch as a man blows fire from his mouth. I clap at the spectacular event what a great distraction.

"What a momentous occasion." Ulla comments. I nod, agreeing with her. "I'm happy we got to live long enough to have witnessed this." Tears of joy fill my eyes.

"We should probably get going," I state, looking at the sun that threatens to set.

"Can I at least be let out? I want to run around. Just for a second." Ulla begs. I chuckle.