XXX

"You are to stay here in the Firm without Hades and Hazel." I feel my heart drop. I laugh at his joke. He gives me a serious look. I stop laughing and just stare at him.

"You can't do that," I say, realizing that he wasn't joking.

"Yes, I can. They are not welcomed here anymore, and by law, I am your guardian." I shake my head, not believe this.

"No, no, this can't be happening." I sink to the level of the chest. I clutch a soft fabric tightly. Parker squats down to my level. I look him in the eyes.

"Isn't this what you wanted? Did you not want to be home once more? To be in the place your family resided?" He asks me. I shake my head.

"My place is not here, but with those two. I thought this is what I wanted. I have come to realize that the place I called home is now foreign to me. This isn't home anymore..." Tears fall down my face. "I'm lost in all this," I tell him.

"Where is home then?" He questions me.

"Home is where everything is familiar and loving. My home is now wherever they are." I explain. "Not here." Parker lifts me gently.

"Then I will make them your new guardians. You can leave the Firm with them." He says. I widen my eyes at that statement. "You belong with them."

"Are you joking?" I question him. Just a second ago, he was talking about keeping me here, so naturally, I should be confused.

"Yes, I know you would resent me for keeping you away from them. Plus, I know you don't know me well enough to accept me as a caretaker. If I were you, and that happened to me, I would be angry too." He explains. His blue eyes look at me with sincerity. I hug him tightly.

"Thank you." I softly say into his chest. He rubs my head.

"This is what your parents would have wanted me to do with your life." He says as he pulls me away from him. "They've always put your happiness before anything, and I want to respect their choices. They would have been so proud of you." I smile.

"I know they are proud of me," I reply.

"And as for the items...you can take them home with you. Even the remains of your parents and aunt. I kept them just for you." I feel overwhelmed with happiness. Parker leads me back to the council room. While a guard carries the large chest into the room. As I open the doors, I look at Hazel and Hades. They look back at me with anticipation in their eyes. I smile at them widely.

I rush to their sides. They open their arms for me to enter. I hold them both. I can feel them both caressing me. "I will sign her over to you both." I hear Parker say. "Once we sign the document, Ursula will now be under your care."

"I don't understand? You just told us that you were going to take her away from us due to the law." Hades says, sounding confused. I look at Parker putting the pieces together. They were talking about me just minutes ago.

"I know, Ursula was also confused when I quickly changed my mind. I believe she should stay in a place that is familiar alongside familiar faces. She doesn't know the Firm and me well enough to be comfortable." He explains to them both.

"Does that mean we become her legal guardians?" Hazel asks. Parker nods his head.

"Do you understand that once I shift the girl to you both, she can never return to the Firm. She will still be acknowledged in the Firm, but she must never acknowledge the Firm." He claims.