XXIII

I hold my sword tightly in my hand. I look at the darkening sky. My blonde hair flows in the wind. The cold air strikes, yet I don't feel it. "Are you prepared to end his life?" I hear Hazel ask from behind me. I turn my head to look at her. Her brown hair is covered with tiny snowflakes.

"Yes." I shortly answer. "I am prepared to end his life. Just like his father was prepared to kill my family." I watch as Harper sits on Hazel's shoulder with a deadly look in her golden eyes.

"No matter the outcome, know that everyone is proud of you." Hazel gently touches my bare arm. "Your family is looking down at you and protecting you." A stray tear slips from my eyes. I wipe it away with tenderness.

"I know that. I can feel them as if they are here in the flesh." I smile at the sky.

"Let's get ready."

"One will fall tonight, and I don't plan on it being me. Hades and Ulla's life depends on me winning this war." I state.

"Don't forget your life is also on the line." She reminds me. I give her a sad smile.

"As long as they are free, I will be fine." I softly say. Hazel hugs me tightly.

"After this, you will be free. Free from all this anger and sorrow." She preaches. I smile at her words.

"Let's go end this once and for all," I claim. Ulla stands close to me with armor on. Soldiers stand in uniformed order. I grasp my sword tightly. I exhale a nervous sign and look at Hazel. She looks back at me. I look back at the standing soldiers that are collecting snow.

"There's no going back now." She says. I swing my sword and smile at her.

"I'll see you soon," I say. She salutes me and grabs a dagger from her belt.

"I'll see you soon." She replies. A gunshot triggers the beginning of the war. I charge towards them with my sword. Four against twenty men, it seems fair enough. I swing my sword and attack the first man who got close to me. Months of practicing with Hades prepared me for this moment. I watch as my blade cuts his arm. I swing once more, slicing his throat. I kick him down to the snowy ground. I see Hazel throwing her daggers, hitting multiple men at the same time.

"Hazel, watch out!" I shout as I see a soldier sneaking up behind her. I rush to her aid. Hearing me Hazel turns, and in a split second, he was on the ground bleeding to death.

"We need to create a pathway to allow you to get to Jace." She states, punching a soldier in the face. I slice a soldier's chest and kick him towards oncoming soldiers.

"What about you?" I ask. She throws a dagger that lands in a soldier's eye. He screams in pain. She glances at me. It was long enough for me to see that her hazel eyes are golden.

"Like Hades said before..." She kicks a man down. "I can handle my battle. I know my strength. Plus, I have that killing machine." With a dagger, she points a Harper who's clawing a soldier's face to shreds. I grimace at the scene.

"If you say so." I swing my sword around to make a pathway. Blood splatters stain my white clothing. I stab anyone that gets in my way. I leave Hazel, and Harper behind to fight. I see an opening to the front door of the palace. A guard swings his sword at me. I lean back, nearly missing the sharp blade. I quickly swing my sword around my head and slice his arm. It wasn't as deep as I wanted it to be. He grabs his sword tighter and misses me once more. I cut him below his ribs. He falls to the ground breathing hard. I kick him under his chin. With an oomph, he falls to the ground. I stand over him with the edge of my blade hanging near his throbbing Adam's apple. "Where's Jace?" I question him. He laughs at me.