XIX

I open my eyes and see he's gone. I get out of my bed and change out of my nightgown. Opening the glossy black wood door of the wardrobe, I notice black dresses hanging. I slip into one of the dresses. The bodice of the dress is made of lace while the skirt is made of tulle and silk. I put on dark heels and pin my hair to the side.

As I sit down on my chair, I feel as if something's missing. As if I'm only half of a piece. What am I missing? I start to wonder through my mind to find the reason why I feel so incomplete. Pain flickers throughout my mind as I try to find an answer. I stop searching and accept the fact that I am incomplete. I hear heels clicking behind me. "Lily! What do I owe this pleasure?" I say, turning around to look at her. Her blonde hair is pulled back as she wears a green A-line dress with a satin belt.

"I came here to tell you that Jace sends his apologies for not being able to be with you at all today." She announces. I felt my heart drop. I slowly get up and smile to hide my disappointment. I walk close to her.

"Well, then I will just stay here then, locked up, all alone." I run my fingers across my soft blankets.

"Excuse me, madam, but I must go to attend to some business." I sit on my bed. She curtseys and goes to walk out the door.

"Is there nothing I can do to help?" I call after her. She opens the door and pauses.

"There is nothing for you to do. If we require your services, I will let you know." She walks out and slams the door shut. I get up and rush to my chest in the corner of my room. I open it and throw out the other dresses that are in there. I look for a weapon. I touch the dusty bottom of the chest and feel there's nothing. I go to my wardrobe and throw the dresses to the ground. I can't seem to find any weapons. Smoothing down my hair, I rush out of my room. I walk around the palace to find a room that's filled with weapons. I know I have seen one before. It seems like a distant memory, but I know there must be a room like that. I open many doors to find no luck. I climb downstairs and stop near a slightly opened door. I see Jace sitting there in his large throne. I was about to open the door to talk to him about my weapons until I heard Jace speak.

"What do you mean they are coming closer?" He asks someone. He looks and sounds angry. I listen closely.

"They are here for the Unicorn." I hear Lily say. A loud sound makes me jump in fear. There's a Unicorn here?

"And what are you doing to stop them!" I hear Jace shout. It goes silent for a split second. "Nothing, that is what you are doing! You are an absolute waste of silvers!" I hear him shout at a person. "Lily, go and deal with the two shifters."

"Yes, master, I won't let you down." She curtseys and goes to walk out. I hold my breath and press myself against the black wall.

"Oh, Lily, one more thing." I hear Jace add. "Don't kill them. I want Ursula to do that job."

"But master!" Lily exclaims. "She can't do the job." I felt offended. If I remember correctly, I've been a hunter for as long as I can remember. Jace whispers something that I couldn't hear. "As you command, master." I hold my breath as Lily walks out the door. A guard walks out after her. I wait a couple of minutes before knocking on the door.

"Come in!" He shouts. I enter the room and smile at him.

"Jace, what happened?" I ask him as I walk to him. He rubs his forehead and sighs.

"Go away, Ursula, I'm busy." He says, not looking at me. I sit on the arm of the throne. I grab his hand in mine and gently massage it.

"Come on. Let us go out and have fun." I suggest. He grabs my hand and puts it against his stubbly cheek. My hand tickles due to his small hairs.

"I'm tired." He lazily says. I pout. "Don't give me that look, Ursula." He warns me.

"It's beautiful outside," I claim. He chuckles.

"It's snowing outside." He answers. I get off the arm of the chair and look at him.

"It's a winter wonderland!" I state. "Please!" I beg him. He laughs.

"As you wish, Ursula." He replies. "Go get a coat, for we'll go to the garden." A guard comes and brings me a coat. I thank him as I place it on my shoulders. I pull the hood up and wrap my arm around Jace's arm. We walk out to the white garden, and I see the flowers are dead and covered in snow. "Why did you want to come out? There's nothing here to see." He says. I wrap my arms around his neck. He had to bend down since he's so tall.

"I don't know. I just wanted to be alone with you." I say. He lifts me on a bench so that he wasn't bent down anymore. The snow crunches underneath my heels. He chuckles.

"Didn't Lily send you my regards?" He asks me.

"Yes, but I want to help you," I say.

"How?" He questions. He looks at me, not convinced.

"Let me go to the battlefield and kill the shifters there on the spot!" I claim before I could think. He gives me an icy look that kills my excitement. My heart stopped in fear.

"How do you know about the shifters?" He slowly asks. I nervously play with my fingers. I open and close my mouth, not knowing how to get myself out of this. "Only three people were in the room when I talked about them." He grasps my wrist hard. I yelp feeling scared. "How do you know about it." He grips me harder.

"I overheard you talking!" I exclaim, wanting him to stop hurting me. I manage to pull my wrist from his grasp. "What's so wrong with that! I am a part of this! I've been hunting shifters, or am I wrong?" I question him. He stays silent. "Am I not a hunter? You told me I was one, and I have the-"

"Yes, you are a hunter. But I won't allow you to go to that battle." He states. He helps me down the bench. "I can't bear to lose you to them." He gently cups my face. I close my eyes to prepare to feel his lips on mine. Instead, I felt nothing. "Let us go back to the warm palace." He flashes me a smile. We walk back to the palace, and I stayed quiet the whole way back.

Anger fills me. I am a huntress. No matter what Jace says, I will find a sword and fight those shifters. It is in my nature to eliminate them. I'm confused though—what is the real reason why he won't allow me on the battlefield. He knows I'm a great hunter. "I have to go somewhere for a moment. Go to your room and stay there." He commands. I nod obediently. I pick up my dress and climb up the stairs. I stop halfway and bend down. I watch him as he walks away. Once I see that he's gone, I rush into his throne room.

"Where're the weapons?" I ask myself. I look around the gloomy room for a door—anything really. I spot swords mounted on the wall as decoration in the back of the room. I grab a glossy lightweight sword with a black diamond on the end of the handle. I sneak out of the palace in search of the battlefield. I pull the hood of my cape lower to hide my face. I walk for what feels like hours in search of the battle.

The snow slows me down as my feet keep sinking into the cold and wet mush. I grip the sword hard as I thread my way. I stand on top of a hill and look around. The palace is surrounded by forest except for one part. I see small figures fighting. "Found them," I whisper. I rush in that direction. As I get closer, I can hear shouting and the clashing of swords. I see our guards, and Lily fighting against the two shifters. I watch them for a moment. The man shifter is dressed in a brown armor-like outfit with a tan distressed scarf. He uses his sword swiftly with elegance.

I move my eyes to the woman. She wears armor on the upper portion of her body with tight pants. A belt is wrapped around her waist with knifes hanging. Her boots allow her to move fast and silently. Her sword shines in the white and red fields. Her brown hair sticks to her face due to her sweat. I stay frozen in place as I see Lily use her magic on them. They fall to the ground in defeat. I stab the earth and watch entranced.

The guards tie them up and take them away. The man does what he's told while the woman tries to fight the guards. I take the sword back from the earth and walk back to the palace. I sneak back in and stand near the entrance to look at the shifters up close. As the guards pass by me, I see the woman lock eyes with me. Her eyes are filled with shock and relief for some reason. She immediately stops struggling against the guard and just stares at me. I watch them disappear into the dark of the hallway. Her sharp eyes burn deep into my mind. I have a feeling I've seen those eyes before. But from where?