Chapter 5- The Recital

That Friday, Garnet prayed that she wouldn't have to train or have to have a match. She so badly wanted to see Pearl's performance, she was close to just faking sick just to go. Her heart was so lovesick for the ballet teacher, it interfered with her training. While in a fighting match with Jasper, Garnet got hit in the face with a chair.

"What the actual fuck is wrong with you?" Sugilite said angrily as Garnet trudged into her office.

"I'm getting a bit sick..." She lied, spitting a tooth out. It was partly the truth.

"Look, I can't afford to pay you for sick time. You either get back out there or you're done for."

"Please Sugi, you don't have to pay me for sick time. I just need 2 days to recover and I'll be back. I promise." Garnet pleaded. Sugilite thought for a moment.

"Alright. You get 2 days and then I'd better see your mug in here, ready to kick some ass!" Sugilite roared, slapping Garnet's back. Garnet grunted, the force of her slap driving her head into the desk.

"Sorry babe. Sometimes I don't know my own strength!" Sugilite laughed, patting her back gently this time. Garnet only groaned from the desk.
----
Later that day, Garnet went home. She lived in a ratty apartment with her roommates, Ruby and Sapphire, 2 girls evicted from their apartment for being a lesbian couple.

"You're home early." Sapphire said serenely. Sapphire was a short, curvy woman with thick blonde hair and light brown skin. She was blind in 1 eye so she wore her hair down in front of her eyes.

"Yeah, just needed a few days off." Garnet said, flopping on her bed.

"You okay? You look really bad." Ruby said bluntly. Ruby was also short and stocky, with black hair in a permanent Afro.

Both Ruby and Sapphire had burns on their hand from their home being burned. Ruby's was on her left hand and Sapphire's on her right.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Wake me up by 6." Garnet said, falling asleep.

"What's at 6?" Ruby asked, but Garnet was already snoring.
---
By 6, Garnet was up and wearing a dark raspberry red tuxedo with a cobalt blue tie.

"What's with the fancy garb?" Ruby asked.

"Just going to a recital." Garnet said, fixing her tie.

"You look good." Sapphire said gently. She reached up and gently adjusted the tie once more before kissing her on the cheek. Sapphire and Ruby were both this their mid-30's and they were like moms to Garnet.

"Thanks. I'll see you soon." Garnet said, hugging them both.

"Bye, be safe!" They called as Garnet left.
---
As Garnet made her way downtown, she worried.

What if Sugilite sees me?

What if anyone from the gym sees me??

What if-

But her fears melted as she saw Pearl welcoming people in. Pearl was wearing a soft turquoise tutu with blue slippers and rose pink tights. When she saw Garnet, her face lightened up.

"Garnet! You came! And...you look handsome." Pearl's face blushed a soft blue.

"You look great too." Garnet said shyly, blushing a dark red.

"Come in! We'll be starting soon." Garnet walked inside where numerous parents and family sat. A woman was sitting up front, taking notes. She had curly red-blonde hair and dark skin. She wore a tux as well and had dark shades.

"Is...this seat tak-"

"Oh, do sit down!" She trilled, dragging Garnet down next to her.

"Uh...thanks..." Now that Garnet was closer, she saw that she had a bindi on as well as plump lips painted in gold with a million dollar smile.

"Pleased to meet you. I'm Sardonyx~!" She chirped.

"Uh, I'm Garnet. It's nice to meet you." She said. Sardonyx smiled again and Garnet noticed that she had a gap between her 2 front teeth.

"So, what brings you here?" Garnet asked causally.

"I'm writing an article for Beach City Daily. I'm just a small time reporter now but someday, I'll be a big time journalist!" Sardonyx said proudly.

"That's great, I hope you do well." Garnet said gently.

"Thank you!" Sardonyx beamed. The lights quickly went out and a spotlight positioned itself on Opal and Pearl.

"Good evening everyone! On behalf of myself and Pearl, my other teacher, we're pleased to have you here at our recital! Our first routine is-"

Suddenly a door opened and a tall Indian woman stepped in. She was really tall and curvy with a pearly bindi and black shades on. She carried a walking stick and her hair was a very light sea foam green.

"Opal, come. I have some bad news." She said in a deep, stern voice. Opal, looking nervous, came towards her with Pearl following behind and the three stepped out. People murmured watching as the woman spoke with Opal and Pearl. Garnet craned her neck to see what was going on and Sardonyx began scribbling down a bunch of stuff. Then they all heard Pearl cry out, "No! You can't do this, Alexandrite!" The room fell silent. The only sounds anyone could hear was Pearl softly crying and Opal pleading. After what felt like an eternity, Pearl came back in.

"Everyone, I have an announcement. Unfortunately, tonight's recital is cancelled because..." Pearl wiped her tears and shakily continued.

"...our studio is being shut down today and will be destroyed in a month. We can't hold this recital." Pearl finished and began to weep once again. People began to murmur more and Sardonyx continued to write. Garnet could only watch as Opal came to comfort the crying Pearl. Sparkling Ballet was being shut down?