Chapter 7-The Invitation 2

"You're what?!" Amethyst asked, horrified.

"Going to fight Malachite..." Garnet said, rocking on her heels. It had only been a few days after challenging Malachite, the most notorious boxer in Beach City, to a boxing match to save Pearl's ballet studio. Garnet was already regretting her decision, because Sugilite put her on a rigorous training schedule. Each day, Garnet wondered why the hell she challenged her as she laid in her bed, muscles aching.

"Are you stupid?" Amethyst asked. "She'll rip you to pieces!!"

"It's for Pearl." Garnet said firmly. She could only think of how Pearl would gush and coo about how Garnet was so strong and how she was the best boxer ever. She grinned goofily, a blush kissing her cheeks.

"Uh...you okay? Your face is red..." Amethyst pointed out. Garnet quickly snapped back to reality.

"I'm fine." She lied, but it didn't take Amethyst long to put 2 and 2 together.

"Wait a minute...do you like Pearl??" Amethyst asked, looking smug. Garnet's eyes widened in surprise.

"I-I don't know w-what you're t-talking about!" Garnet stammered defensively, but Amethyst wasn't that dumb.

"You like Pearl! Dude, you should totally ask her out on a date!!" Amethyst suggested.

"I couldn't...I wouldn't know how to..." Garnet said.

"It's easy! That's how I got Peridot, my girlfriend, to go out with me. I went up to her and said 'hey nerd, wanna grab a coffee' and we've been going out since!" Amethyst grinned. Garnet only stared.

"I...don't think I know how to ask her. Could you help me?" Garnet asked shyly.

"Of course! Let's start training!"
----
"Okay, I'm gonna teach you how to get you a Pearl!" Amethyst said. Garnet sat behind a desk, watching Amethyst intensely.

"First, let's learn the art of pickup lines. There's a fine line between cheesy ones and dirty ones. Stick to the cheesy ones, cause Pearl don't like dirty ones." She instructed. Garnet jotted down the notes.

"There are 3 I'm certain she'll love. The first one is 'Hey, are you from Tennessee? Cause you're the only ten I see!'" Amethyst said in a faux flirty voice. Garnet raised an eyebrow.

"But she's not from Tennessee..." She said. Amethyst shook her head.

"No, it's a pun! Ugh, okay let's try the next one. 'Hey beautiful, I've been reading the book of Numbers and I realized, I don't have yours~'"

"I'm not Catholic." Garnet said flatly.

"Jesus, Garnet, these aren't literal!!" Amethyst groaned. "Look, the last one should be easy for you. 'Hey baby, did you fall from Heaven? Cause you're an angel!'"

"That one seems to be the best..." Garnet said.

"Good. Let's work on presentation." Amethyst said.
---
After hours of lessons, tutorials and Amethyst screaming into a pillow, Garnet was ready. Wearing the same tux she wore to the recital, Amethyst drove her to Pearl's apartment.

"Okay, how are you going to present yourself?"

"With confidence and swagger."

"And you're going to-?"

"Present the flowers I picked."

"Finally, you're going to...?"

"Say the pickup line and ask her to go to a movie with me."

"You're ready. Go get her!" Amethyst gave Garnet a fist bump and Garnet went to the door. She rapped her knuckles on the door and waited.

"Who is it?" Pearl's voice trilled from the other side.

"It's me, Garnet." Garnet said stoically.

"Oh! Uh, I'll be right there!" Pearl seemed nervous and Garnet heard her rush about, mumbling frantically. After what seemed like an hour, Pearl opened the door. She was wearing a pale blue robe with her peach hair in curlers. Her eyes looked at Garnet's tux and she blushed.

"You look so...handsome." She cooed.

"You look...good." Garnet felt her palms get sweaty and her cheeks blush.

"Please, come in." Pearl said, opening the door more. Garnet stepped in and looked around. The place was neat and tidy with only a few stray papers.

"Nice place." Garnet said.

"Oh, thank you!" Pearl gushed. She sat on the couch, but Garnet remained standing.

"Uh, I got these for you..." She said shyly, giving her the bouquet.

"Oh, they're lovely! How did you know I love pink roses??" Pearl said.

"I guessed." Garnet shrugged and Pearl laughed.

"Well, thank you. So, what brings you here?" She asked. Garnet cleared her throat and nervously stammered, "A-are you an angel? Cause you fell out of Heaven."

"Huh?" Pearl looked confused.

"Shit, I said it wrong!" Garnet said, looking throughly embarrassed. Pearl watched as Garnet kept mumbling. She was so cute, it made Pearl like her more. She stood and placed a hand on Garnet's shoulder.

"Garnet, if you want me to go out with you, I will. You don't have to use a cheesy pick up line." Garnet blushes deeply and began to tremble.

"I-I....oh, uh....I uh....uh...." Garnet stammered.

"How about 7 on Friday? We can watch a movie." Pearl suggested.

"O-okay..."

"See you then~." Pearl said, pushing Garnet out. Garnet walked out to the car, Pearl's voice ringing in her mind.

'See you then~'
'See you then~'
'See you then~'