Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Mike's mind whirled as he tried to figure out what Carly meant when she said they needed to talk. Although relieved that the mystery was solved, he now faced a bigger mystery. What did Carly want to talk about? Why did it have to be done at home?

The checkout process proceeded quickly, and within an hour, the paperwork was completed. The doctor seemed pleased with the fact the various levels in Carly's blood had returned to normal. After promising to take her into their local clinic the next day for follow-up blood work, the doctor wished them well on their way.

The drive home was quick, almost too quick for Mike's liking. He didn't want to hear what Carly had to tell him if it meant losing her. Had the doctors told her some bad news? Was she too afraid to live in Bear Cove anymore?

Mike shook his head. No matter what the problem was or how serious the situation, they would come through it together. After nearly losing her, he wasn't about to let her go. He would find some way to keep her safe, even if it meant moving somewhere else. Bert's words echoed in his head: You can't keep her safe.

Maybe not, but he'd sure give it the old college try.

* * *

Carly offered a tiny smile as Mike opened her car door, reaching for her hand. She drew a deep breath as she eased her sore and battered body out of the car. Seemed like years since they'd walked up to their house, but in reality, it was only two days before. Mike unlocked the door and stepped inside, holding up one hand for her to wait. He sniffed the air carefully, then stepped into the living room.

She waited until he came back out, a small device looking like a smoke detector in his hand.

"A carbon monoxide detector. Bert put one in each room for us." He showed her the front panel of the detector. "If that alarm goes off, it means you need to get out of the house right away."

Carly nodded. She shivered in the cool morning air as she remembered how close she had come to not walking into this house again. Mike reached out and embraced her tightly against his chest. Tears ran down her cheeks.

Mike rubbed his hand up and down her back then released her. "Let's get you inside."

Carly nodded and walked into her home. Doc sat on the arm of the sofa, his tail flicking in greeting. He jumped down lightly and padded over to her. She bent down and stroked his head, reveling in the softness of his fur. Murmuring into his ear, she told him over and over how much she had missed him. He pressed against her face, his purring making him sound like a small motor. She was so glad to be home.

Mike cleared his throat softly. When she turned to look at him, he asked, "So, what do we need to talk about?"

Carly took his hand, leading him into the kitchen. She pulled the brown bag from the drawer and passed it to him. Tentatively he opened it and looked inside. Carly held her breath. His brows furrowed in puzzlement.

"Candy sticks and gum?"

Carly grabbed the bag from his hands and dumped its contents on the counter. The candy sticks rolled to one side, leaving the Early Response package sitting by itself.

Still Mike looked confused.

"Oh, for crying out loud, Mike. It's a pregnancy test."

As understanding struck him, his jaw dropped. He held onto the counter for support. "A preg-preg-what on earth do you need a pregnancy test for?"

"I don't know if I am or not." Carly wrung her hands, then hugged herself to keep from shivering. "All I know is I haven't been feeling well and Denise suggested maybe I am-you know-pregnant."

"And are you?"

"I don't know. With all that was going on, it seemed more important to find out who was trying to kill me."

Mike paced back and forth. "More important? What could be more important than knowing if you're pregnant or not?"

She recognized sure signs of agitation. "Because if I didn't figure that out and they succeeded, it would be a moot point, wouldn't it?"

Mike nodded. He ran his fingers through his hair. "So, what do we do now?"

"I don't know. I've never done this before." Carly began to open the package. "Mike, there's one other thing."

"What's that?"

"That evening we spent with Denise and Don, when you played with the kids. While I watched you, I thought what a good dad you would make."

Mike nodded and puffed out his chest. "Well, I am a good dad."

"I mean for our child."

Mike's face went white.

Carly reached for him and he hugged her close to him.

He pressed his face into her hair and inhaled deeply. "Come on. Let's figure out what we need to do."

She nodded into his neck.

They sat down and read the instructions.

* * *

When the test results came back with a blue minus sign, they both cried.

Carly wasn't certain whether her tears were from relief or disappointment.

And she wasn't sure she wanted to know.