Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Carly had no real evidence to substantiate any of her points. She knew it, and she knew Mike knew it. However, when Mike's face turned red and he started to splutter, she knew she'd hit the nail close to the head, even if she hadn't actually landed a direct hit.

"You are starting to sound like a bad episode of 'Judge's Court'." Mike's voice raised a notch or two in pitch, a sure sign of agitation. "What evidence do you have?"

"I am not." She was sure her blood pressure would be through the roof right about now. She fastened her seat belt. "I'll admit. My case has a few holes in it."

Mike clipped his seat belt and started the car. "A few holes? Like motive, for one thing. And what does all this have to do with Mayor Wells' accident?" He pulled out of the parking lot, drawing some steadying breaths as he did. No point in ruining the next hour. "C'mon. Let's go home and spend some time away from all of this. I have a lot of work to do on the program and there must be something you need to do, too."

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, I talked to Denise. She and the kids will come to stay after the meeting on Friday and Don will come early next week."

The drive home was uneventful but not quiet. Most of their discussion centered around Carly trying to prove to Mike that Mr. Daniels was the culprit, while Mike patiently reminded her, over and over and over again, he had no motive. He told her a little of their conversation, including Daniels's mention of some problems at his last job. "Still, that doesn't mean he's guilty. Just that he found himself out of his depth."

Walter's lack of motive was little deterrent to Carly, however, and instead she focused on the circumstances surrounding his departure from the school in the Midwest, the geographical proximity of both the principal and this mystery company, and the autopsy report. Her main concerns were explaining her suspicions to Bert and getting more evidence to prove conclusively Walter was the culprit. She didn't consider the first task would be difficult. The second, however, might prove more daunting, especially once she was home in Bear Cove.

As she pondered the situation, she hit upon what seemed to be the perfectly logical plan-if Walter was guilty, then he must also be the man who picked up mail at the mystery box. If she could catch him in the act, Bert-and more importantly Mike-would have to believe her.

However, as usual, when she explained her plan to Mike, his idea of logic was radically different from hers.

"You're not making sense, Carly."

"But don't you see? If I can catch him, then you'll see it's him." She hated to lose. "I just know I can make my case."

"I see your mind is already made up and you wouldn't see the Michelin Man if he exploded in front of you." Mike's smug tone was irritating. "You can't go into an investigation intent on proving what you believe. Accounting doesn't work that way. And neither does the law."

"That's not true. When I take on a case, I already have a good idea where the money is. You underestimate my powers of deductive reasoning and- "

Mike let out a loud laugh. "Deductive reasoning? Don't you have to know all the facts before you can deduce anything?"

Carly crossed her arms over her chest and sighed deeply. "Fine. If you want to be like that, go ahead. I'm going to take a nap." She turned her head toward the window and hunkered down in the seat. "You can wake me when we get home. Until then, I don't want to talk about this anymore."

* * *

Mike shook his head. His wife could fall asleep faster than anyone he knew. One of her claims to fame was falling asleep during a Steve McQueen car chase scene in a movie at a theater. Once she was ready for a nap, nothing could detract her.