Chapter 4

...

 "I told you before we got started that I don't do the dating shit. You shouldn't have expected anything more than what you got." Acton's words echoed in my mind over and over again, as I watched Mikayla huff as she grabbed her bags and stomped off of the bus. In my peripheral vision, I saw Colton and Ren laughing and clinking their beers together, most likely chatting about how good it was to have her off of the bus. But I couldn't hear what they were saying. All I could hear was Acton's voice, repeating those words over and over again. 

I stood up from my seat on the couch and walked over to the side of the bus to look out of the window to find Mikayla. My eyes quickly landed on her, standing in the middle of the empty parking lot we and the other bus were currently parked on. She had her bags with her, but they were set next to her as she sat on one and reached into her bag to grab her phone. Even from a distance of about twenty five yards, I could see the black streams of mascara down her face. She was barely half clothed, since she hadn't waited long enough to change into something decent before getting off of the bus where she was blatantly humiliated. 

As I watched her try to hide her tears and call for a ride, I felt my stomach drop. I recognized her, and I realized who she reminded me of. She was me, after being used by a man who didn't deserve what he got. I forced the bile from my realization down as my anger rose. I whipped around, my entire body focusing in on where Acton stood, leaning back casually against the counter, no remorse for what he did at all. 

Before I had time to think it through, I was over by Acton's side, snatching his fucking beer out of his hand and smashing it to the ground. 

"What the fuck was that for?" Acton raised his voice at me before I pulled my fist back and swiftly connected it with his jaw.

"For being a fucking asshole!" I yelled back, furious with his arrogant ways. "How dare you do that to her?" 

"I thought that was what you wanted!" He shot back, shrugging his shoulders while he backed away as I continued to try and slap his chest.

"How could you be so cruel? Why did you have to be so mean?" 

Acton folded his arms across his chest and I stopped trying to hit him. Violence wasn't getting us anywhere. "She wasn't gonna leave unless I got harsh with her. What the fuck was I supposed to do? Sing a lullaby?"

"Be human!" I shouted, glancing behind him at the girl who was still sitting on her luggage, crying out in the middle of a tar wasteland. "Look at her!" I waved my hand out so he could follow my line of sight, but he didn't budge. "She's sitting out there, alone! Couldn't we have let her stay until she got a ride?"

"Why is she important to you? She wasn't important five minutes ago, but now she's the most important person in the world. What's different now?" Acton shot back, still not daring to look at what was outside behind him. 

"She's a human being, Acton. You don't treat people like that!"

"Why do you care?" Acton continued our shouting match. "She was horrible to you, looking at you like you were filthy and disgusting, yet you want to help her. Why?"

"Because no one should be treated like that, Acton. No one should be treated like they are unwanted, unworthy, and unloved." I lowered my voice so only the two of us could hear. "No one, and I mean no one, should ever be treated as though they are insignificant."

"But people are stupid and arrogant and conceited. People are always going to get hurt. This is just one of those times where someone gets hurt. I never promised her anything. I never said that we would be anything more than a one night stand, yet you want me to help her?"