Chapter 17

(Edited)

Alex's P.O.V
I miss my Katerina. I've been feeling like mush ever since she told me to leave. I wish she would at least talk to me... But I understand her need for space.

I walk to my room, intending to get showered and head to bed when something unsettling makes itself known in my gut.

I shake it off and close my door behind me and start to strip my clothes.

Pain. That's the first thing I feel. I literally fall to the ground from how intense it is. My stomach feels as if my skin is being ripped off. I know it's Katerina immediately.

As soon as it dulls down, 20 minutes later, I get to my feet and begin running to where I can sense her. Since we've mated and such, I know exactly where she is on the planet at all times. And this place is making my nose wrinkle at the mere thought of going there.

Werewolf territory.

I zoom faster, my feet hardly touching the ground as I rush to get my beloved mate back. She is mine.

Since I'm in line for the throne, I am much stronger than any other vampire. Even ancient ones. So I'll easily be able to take this pack out on my own and get her back and in my arms to safety. As the french would say, dans mes bras.

I stop near the border of their territory and use my powerful vision to scope out my competition. There are several wolves guarding the house and some scattered ones guarding the border. I have no doubt in my mind that the house is loaded with werewolves.

I charge on to their land, fighting their awful smell and focus on my mates beautiful scent of fresh peaches and honey. It sticks out above the awful stench of wet dog and something else that wards off vampires.

I hear a massive roar as soon as I cross their land and rush past a werewolf who didn't have time to shift before I passed him. I quickly turn back to him and plunge my hand into his chest, ripping his heart out completely and continuing charging the others.

Several more thunderous roars are to be heard as I chop down wave after wave of really slow werewolves. I show no mercy to the vile animals. No one takes my mate and lives to tell the tale. They should know better than to mess with the vampire king. Especially one who is mated. It tends to turn out very ugly for them in the end.

Once all of those who were alive and came at me are dead, I zip inside, looking around for signs of human life. I know my mate is down in their prison along with someone else. Someone who smells... Different. That's the only word I can use to describe how... Weird they smell. It's almost inviting like a mates scent would be but I know it's not that.

I burst through their weak cellar door, made of iron by the way, and walk down the narrow basement stairs. It looks like any other basement so far. There is just a little door down here that seems out of place. But I know it's where my baby is.

I open the door in a civilized manner and almost immediately start fuming in rage. My poor Katerina. She looks so bad...

She's chained to a wall by silver chains and she's also upside down. There are numerous, unending lashes on her belly and missing hunks of her skin and tissue. Her head is slumped over and if she had a heartbeat, it would be fading already if not gone.

The only reason she hasn't healed is because of me. I haven't been near her for so long that our bodies are trying to reunite us by making us suffer. And I know she felt every ounce of pain handed to her. Because I did too.

I zip over to her, looking over her face and taking it in my hands. There are dried tear trails on her cheeks from crying. I'm going to murder whoever did this. And something makes me uneasy, now that I think about it. There was no Alpha or Beta present. They smell the worst and have the overpowering sense of authority in their auras. But, so do I.