Chapter 9

(Y/n)'s POV

~The next morning~

I woke up and saw Jack still next to me. *blush* Huh? Who ate the cookies? Jake was sitting at the edge of my bed with cookie crumbs all over his mouth.

"Why did you eat the cookies?" He looked at me.
"Oh, I thought they were meant for me. Sorry."
"It's fine." He looked regretful.
"Don't worry about it."
"Huh?" Jack sat up, rubbing his eyes. His cold hand touched my shoulder. I shivered and pushed him off.
"I'm so sorry!"

I reached out towards him but he pulled me down and wrapped his arms around me so I wouldn't get hurt. *blush*

"You look cute when you blush, snowflake."
"Shut up, iceboy." Jake was just sitting there awkwardly.
"You know you don't have to always stick around me, right?"
"But you're my guardian. I am destined to be with you."
"What? Really?" He nodded. Jack just looked confused.
"Come on." I pulled him up. I was just about to open the door when Tooth burst through. We stumbled back.
"Come quick."

We followed her to the globe. The lights were going out faster but some still remained. Suddenly, sparkly black dust surrounded it. Demitra appeared, along with Pitch. I glared at them. Wait...was that a wound on Pitch?!

"What did you do?!"
"Oh, this?" she asked, gesturing towards Pitch's wound.
"I planned to kill him, he was no longer of any use to me," Demitra replied. Everyone was shocked.
"But...why didn't you?"
"I thought it would be more entertaining to kill him in fronr of you guys."

What?! Pitch looked at us with eyes filled with regret, sadness, fear, hope, guilt... I hoped I really didn't regret doing this! I looked at the others and they nodded. Jake turned into his fighting form.

"Now!"

Jack and Sandy shot ice and sand at Demitra, which turned into a powerful spiral attack. While she was distracted with them, Jake and Bunny aimed at her back. She stumbled forward, her grip weakening on Pitch.

Her eyes were filled with pure anger. She kicked Pitch to the side and created an arrow shield over him. Then she kicked at Jake. He growled at her. North and Tooth went in for an attack but she dodged them and managed to injure both of them.

"Why are you doing this, Demitra?!" She turned her head toward me.
"For revenge, those guardians never did anything for me! And to also get back at you for killing my family!"

I stopped in my tracks and froze. That just made me realise. They actually didn't do much for me either. No! I couldn't let these stupid thoughts fill my head. I shook this feeling off and looked at her with determination.

"I will defeat you no matter what!" She laughed.
"I'd like to see you try."

Jack looked at me, concerned. I made plant swords. They might not inflict that much damage but at least they could regrow back quickly.

"Come at me, you damn idiot."

She looked even more angered. North and Bunny went to free Pitch. The others wanted to help me but I gave them a look saying to stay back for now. Her iron swords were way stronger than my ones but they couldn't rebuild themselves.

Jack encrusted mine in ice. I mouthed a thank you. She sent an energy blast at me but I deflected it with my own. Since this wasn't working, she shot a normal (not life or death) arrow at Tooth.

"Watch out!"

She wasn't fast enough and got hit. Demitra shot more arrows at her. Tooth fell but she was still alive...barely breathing. My own grip crushed my swords.

"Why did you do that?!" She just shrugged.
"Payback, I guess."

I ran towards her and kicked her. She stopped it with her sword and cut my leg. I controlled some trees to grow and they surrounded her. She had no way to get out, there were no gaps.

They combined together and formed one tree, thick enough to block an explosion. It felt like there were pins and needles all across my body. She couldn't be...trying to shoot death arrows at the tree, could she?!

"(Y/n), release her now!" North instructed.
"But she'll attack us again-"

I fell. There was a hole at the bottom of the tree. She got out and escaped. But there was a large cut on my leg. Jack looked angry, I've never seen this side of him before. He chased after Demitra.

"Jack, don't!" But he was gone. Sandy tended my wound. Pitch looked guilty.
"I-I'm sorry, I didn't realise this would happen."
"Well, you should be."

Jack's POV

I chased after Demitra. She hurt (Y/n) and I would never forgive her! I fought her but she was stronger than I expected.

"Jack, did you know that (Y/n) never did receive anything from the guardians?" I stopped in my tracks. She took this chance to escape. I went back.
"North! Explain yourself!"
"What is it, Jack?"
"Why didn't (Y/n) get what she deserved?!"

(Y/n)'s POV

I looked at Jack.

"Jack, it's really okay-"
"How can you say that after all this?!" he asked, irritated before walking off.
"We're truly sorry for that, we didn't mean to. There must've been a problem with..." I smiled weakly at them.
"Don't worry about it, it's all in the past." They smiled gratefully at me. I went outside to talk to Jack.