Chapter 8

Evan's POV

"....and after that, robotic me smashes into the window, terrorizing the old folks while singlehandedly delivering the neighbor's baby onto their doorstep." Alex finishes off with a smirk.

I bursted out laughing. "Hold it there cowboy. As much as I love your idea, I think we should make it a bit more....realistic," I suggested. "Also, why does all your ideas have to be about you terrorizing something or someone?" I questioned.

He puts his hand over his chest, feigning hurt. "Are you trying to tell me my story isn't good enough?" I chuckled a bit.

"Oh no, it's definitely 'amazing'." I said. "It really is something." I added in.

"Oh please, you're just jealous of my amazing imagination skills." He  grinned proudly.

"Yup, that's definitely it. It's pure jealously." I said sarcastically. I took a glance at Alex's clock on his nightstand. My eyes went wide. It read 10:23pm.

"Woah, is it that late already? I think I should be going now. My mom's probably getting worried. I'll see you at school tomorrow?" I stated the last sentence as more of a question than anything else. When I didn't get a response, I sighed and started to pack my bag. I heard a shuffle as Alex stood up and pulled his curtain aside.

"You sure that's a good idea?" He asked. "Going home I mean." He added after he saw my look of confusion.

"What do you mean?" I asked. He motioned his head toward the now curtain-less window. I turned my head to look in that direction. Realization soon dawned on me. "Oh..." Was all I could manage out.

I was raining heavily outside. Okay, let me rephrase that, there was practically a raging storm outside. How did I not hear that? "Sorry man. You can stay for the night if you want. This storm seems pretty bad." Alex suggested.

"I-I'll um...call my parents and see if it's okay with them." I said quietly. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed the house phone. My mom picked up after the first rings.

"Hi sweetie, where are you? There's a terrible storm right now. Are you okay?" She asked me with concern laced in her voice.

"Yes mom, I'm fine. I'm actually by a...friend's house. Is it okay if I stay the night? We're working on an assignment."

"Oh of course hunny. But be safe. And don't go outside unless the storm is cleared," she warned.

"Yes mom, I know. Anyway, I have to go now. Bye."

"Okay, bye sweetie, and love you,"

"Love you too," I mumbled quietly. I hung up and turned to Alex, who had a smirk on his face. I blushed and averted my gaze. "What?" I half whispered half asked. His smirk got even wider.

"Oh nothing. So what did they say?" He asked me, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed against his chest.

"My mom says it's okay. Just-" I was cut of by loud, rapid knocks.

"Hold that thought," Alex told me as he walked out of the room and went down the stairs. After the first minute, I decided to peak downstairs to see who it was. I saw two figures talking to Alex. Once I got a closer look at the two figures, a frown made its way onto my face.

What were Dave and Max doing here?