Chapter 5 - Blackout

The little country cottage that I called home was on the western outskirts of town, and that meant a two-mile walk to work and back. I never did learn to drive. James always said he'd teach me, but we never got there. And anyway, I liked walking. There was nothing like crisp, clean air to wake you up in the morning or the warm afternoon sun to escort to you home.

The only problem with walking to get around is you rely on the weather. Castle Rock is usually fine and warm at that time of year, but as I finished work at the diner, I saw that the sky was darkening and threatening heavy rain. Rose flicked on the radio, and we heard that a storm was expected to hit Castle Rock head on. She offered for me to stay the night, but I was optimistic that I could beat the worst of it home. The winds were far too gusty for an umbrella, and so I stepped out to withstand the elements in just my cotton, knee-length waitress dress. I was thankful I was wearing comfortable shoes because I wouldn't be walking home that day – I'd be running.

The stores' overhanging eaves offered some shelter for the first part of my jog, but they were quickly left behind. As I pounded the pavement through the residential streets, I kept glancing up to keep a close eye on the clouds.

A fat drop splattered on my cheek and then blew off with the wind. I felt another one splat on my forehead, and then another and another until they were coming in thick and steady. I tried to trick myself into thinking that it wasn't so bad, but as the steady trickle became a surging torrent, I wasn't fooling anyone. I kept up my long strides as my shoes became soaked in the puddles and my soggy dress stuck tight to my skin.

The streets had been void of traffic until a jet black '52 Ford pickup truck sped past me with its wheels spraying up water at either side. I didn't think much of it until the brake lights came on, and it slowed to a stop just up ahead. Squinting in the downpour, I caught up to it and looked through the window to see Ace stretching across the seat to wind it down.

I took off at a ripping pace, much faster than I intended; some idiotic part of my brain seemed to think that if I ran fast enough I'd lose him. But the black beast was soon riding alongside with its V8 engine letting out subtle growls every time Ace's foot touched the accelerator.

The sound made me melt.

"Wanna ride?" Ace yelled out the open window, his voice extra powerful to combat the deafening, bombarding rain.

"No!"

"Come on, you're soaked! I'll give you a ride!"

I struggled to run for half a block more, and then my body betrayed me by slowing down to a fast-paced walk. My lungs were hurting, and running against the strong winds wasn't easy.

Ace stretched over to the passenger's side to give the door a swift shove, swinging it wide open. "Cassie! Stop being a stubborn bitch and get in the fuckin' truck!"

My frozen knees seized up, bringing me to a halt. They knew they'd only carried me half the journey and that the last mile wouldn't get any easier. I shot a sulky glance at Ace who was sitting comfortably in his dry surroundings. It seemed so grossly unfair.

A flash of lightning streaked across the sky just above us, and the thunder that followed boomed so loud it was almost deafening. That was as much as I could take. In a split-second decision, I dived for the open door and clambered inside.

"Weather took a turn for the worst today," he said coolly.

I didn't reply. I didn't even look at him. I just wound up the window and then sat there sulking.

"Where to?" he asked.

"I don't want a ride. As soon as this eases up a little, I'm walking home."