Chapter 8 - Unfinished Business

We'd been driving for an hour and were way out in the countryside when I caught sight of a mansion sitting proudly within the vast landscape.

"Nice, huh?" Ace said as I pointed it out.

To my surprise, he turned off the road and drove through the beautifully detailed, black, wrought iron gates that fronted the property. A wide strip of paved brick led us down a scenic drive of open space and tall willows to where a giant stone fountain spurted water high into the air. We circled around the fountain to park right outside the mansion. When Ace turned off the engine, only the sound of the water raining down into the pool could be heard.

I took a moment to gaze up at the stately, two-story building that towered over us. It was rectangular shaped with countless windows lining the two floors, and the six stone pillars that stretched from the base right up to the top of the second story were what gave the mansion its look of grandeur. I don't know what I had been expecting, but it sure wasn't that.

Ace got out of the car, but I didn't move. I couldn't. The nerves that I had managed to keep quiet throughout the journey were now looping and diving around my stomach, making me feel slightly nauseous.

"Are you comin' or what?" he asked.

"I don't know about this."

Ace frowned, expressing his annoyance. "What's your problem?"

"I've got a bad feeling..."

"It's too late to pussy out now. Let's go."

I got out and then followed him up the stone steps that led to the large double doors. He rapped on the beautifully varnished wood with the big brass knocker while I stood a cautious couple of feet behind him. My heart was pounding.

I heard the sound of a deadlock being released, and then one of the doors swung open wide. The doorman was short, stocky and dressed in the formal attire of a black suit and bow tie, but he stood with his shoulders slightly slouched forwards and reached out to slap Ace's hand to greet him.

"Ace. Here again? Who you seein' this time?"

"Carl."

"Oh, not the girl, huh?" he smirked.

"You just keep that quiet, Lorenzo," Ace said with a smile, pointing a warning finger in the guy's face.

"And who's this?" Lorenzo nodded at me.

"Christmas bonus come early," Ace said lowly with a laugh as if he thought I wouldn't hear.

"You both clean?"

"Course we are."

"I know, Ace, but I at least gotta ask. I'm s'posed to frisk you. You know that."

"I got nothin'," Ace said raising his arms. "Now take us to the big boy."

Lorenzo stepped aside, and I stuck close to Ace as we entered an impressive entrance room. Lavish seating, gold trimmed mirrors and fine artwork had been elegantly arranged, and the vast spread of white marble flooring was so finely polished you could see your reflection under your feet. Seeing my tired-looking runners against the marble made me feel underdressed.

"This way," Lorenzo gestured.

He led us down a long marble hallway that had various expensive-looking art pieces and sculptures displayed on raised pillars at either side. I wondered how much moolah surrounded us in just that one area. We walked through a set of large doors to enter what looked like the central room to the house. I rolled my eyes from one side of the room to the other in awe. Italian classical music filled the air, lavish furniture was dotted from wall to wall and the ceiling was a painted masterpiece.