39 Sukey's

Saturday, 6th August, 4 pm

It's two days later, and I'm still here by myself at Natalie's and Eyeball's while they're away. I don't know where they went or how long they'll be gone. Eyeball surprised Natalie with some 'mystery weekend' and spontaneously whisked her away. She was so excited - my God. I had to help her pack because she couldn't think straight.

Those two are so cute to watch. Whenever I see Natalie shyly slide her hand into his or clutch at his arm to walk along-side him, or when Eyeball engulfs her in his arms, his stocky shoulders shielding them from the world as he steals a private kiss - I can't help but coo and sigh. They don't seem to care about money or what anyone else thinks about them; they're just happy to have each other.

I'm jealous of what they have - I won't lie. Especially at the moment. Just a couple of weeks ago, I felt like Ace and I were growing so close, but suddenly, we feel so disconnected. We argue more than we sleep in the same bed. He's usually away out of town, or if he's home, he's up at all hours on the phone. I wish he could just drop everything for a couple of days and whisk me away somewhere - anywhere - and for it to be just us. But it won't happen. Ace is like a dog seeking the biggest, tastiest bone he can get his paws on. And I wonder, when he finally finds it, will it ever be enough?

Shit... the phone's ringing. My stomach's in knots...

-----

It was Ace, as I thought it would be, and he's been looking everywhere for me, apparently. I mean, if I'm not at the garage and not home, there's only one place I'll be, right? Anyway, when the phone rang, I picked up the receiver and was welcomed by his raspy voice clouting my eardrum.

"Cass? I been looking everywhere for you. What the fuck are you doing there? How'd you get in?"

"It's... a long story. Listen, I really need to talk to you about something. Can you come?"

"What is it?"

"Not over the phone."

"I gotta meet these guys now."

"You got it then?"

"Yeah. I got it."

Bittersweet news, it was. It got us past a milestone, but I felt a little sick knowing what he did to get it.

"Stay there," he said. "I'll meet you after."

"You're meeting them in the Rock?"

"Yeah..."

"How about I come to you?"

"I don't want you there."

I slumped on my stool and started fidgeting with the telephone cord, wrapping the coil around my finger.

"Come on, baby," I pleaded. "I haven't seen you for days. I... miss you real bad. I wanna see you."

His raspy voice breathed heavily into the phone. "OK - meet me at Sukey's. You know where that is?"

"Sukey's Tavern? Yeah, I know it."

"I'll park the car out front. Wait in it. Don't come inside - got it?"

And then the phone went dead.

I guess I'd better go.