38 Desperate Calls...

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say, thank you for always being so patient with me. I guess it's not just finding time to write that's a problem, it's letting the best ideas come to me that takes time. That's the mistake I made before - I rushed, and now have to reorganize and rewrite. So, thank you for sticking with me!

  So, thank you for sticking with me!

Thursday 4th August - 2 am

My God... my heart is racing, and I'm trembling. I just called Keith and asked him to meet me in an hour a few miles from here. Ace will probably have my head bringing him anywhere near the garage, but I'm not walking the eight miles to his place in the middle of the night. Ace was supposed to be my ride, Eyeball is who-knows-where, and Jack and Fuzz aren't answering their phones. And I really want to talk to Keith ASAP, while Ace isn't around. Because if Ace is around it won't happen. My God, this is so intense but... desperate calls...

I'd better get moving.

Thursday 4th August - 3

Thursday 4th August - 3.30 am

Shit... You know, part of me hoped that Keith would turn me down, say he had nothing for me, and at least I could be satisfied that I tried. At least I could have slept peacefully now. But instead, my mind is running circles over what to do.

As I neared the crossroads where I asked Keith to wait, I saw him standing in the headlights of his black '51 Mercury, looking around aimlessly for any sign of me.

"Cassie!" he called when he finally spotted me. "Are you alright?" His headlights illuminated the concerned look on his face as he took me by the hands and checked me over.

"I'm fine." I pulled away gently, appreciating that he drove all the way out there, but not wanting to be fussed over.

"Where's Ace?"

"He had to be somewhere. Urgently."

"So he left you alone, way out here? Where'd you call from?"

"Can we go?" Avoiding answering all questions was of the utmost importance.

I opened the door of his Mercury and slipped inside. This car is eye-candy on wheels. It's been dropped and channeled, has Desoto grill teeth which are rare to see in these parts, and the rear tires are covered by those steel skirts that give it that true 'lead sled' look. The gray, leather interior is immaculate - not a speck of dust or dirt to been found - and when Keith slid in behind the wheel, it was like dressing the eye-candy with a cherry on top.