Chapter 17 - Defiance

I wasn't waiting long before Keith's back door opened a crack. He cautiously peered out before realizing who his visitor was.

"Cassie," he said, swinging the door open wide. "Well, ain't this a nice surprise?"

"Hi," I said, shaking myself out of the trance that the sudden sight of him had put me in. He was wearing a dark gray T-shirt which was very fitting against his chest and solid arms. "I know it's late..."

"Not at all. Come on in, babe."

The door clicked closed, and I got butterflies when I felt his hand press against the small of my back to lead me over to his living room.

"Take a seat," he said, gesturing at one of his plush, suede-like sofas.

I sat down and, again, admired the rustic styling and cozy feel to the place.

On the beautifully carved, wooden coffee table in front of me, there was a quart bottle of whiskey as well as a few used glasses which he began to stack up. "Sorry 'bout the mess. Just had a few buddies 'round. Good thing they didn't see you or they never would have left." Keith flashed me a smile and I got the flutters. As he walked away towards the kitchen with his glasses, I bit my lip as I let my gaze fall below his belt.

He grabbed a couple of clean glasses from a kitchen cupboard and brought them over, then took the sofa opposite me and spun the top off the whiskey bottle.

"I heard about the lady at the diner," he said, pouring us each a double-shot. "That must've been hard."

"It was."

"Do you need to talk about it?"

"No. I'm fine. Thanks though."

"I was wondering when I'd see you again. Ace didn't seem happy about me wanting to take you out."

"I'm so sorry about last week.

"Don't sweat it."

"No, I have been. I felt terrible. But I didn't know he was coming, and there was something we had to do that couldn't be delayed. I've been wanting to stop by and apologize... but..."

"But Ace doesn't want you coming 'round here anymore. He even put Eyeball back on the run."

"Yeah."

"Do you know why?"

"Because he's a controlling asshole."

Keith smirked. "I think he's taken a shine to you."

"No. He's with someone, so..."

He gave me a questioning look for a moment like he was working through other possible explanations but coming up with none. I felt like I still didn't know the full story myself.

"Well, whatever the reason, you didn't listen. 'Cause you're here."

"Gotta break the rules every now and then."

"Am I gonna get these secret visits often?"

"That depends," I grinned.

He gave me a bit of the eye as he sipped his drink. "Alright, I'll play along. But, I wouldn't want you to get into too much trouble with Ace. You're still working for him, right?"

"Umm... kind of... umm..."

"Look," he said with a gentle smile. "I ain't gonna pretend I don't know some of what's going on. You've got money problems, haven't you?"

"What... how did you know?"

"You said you needed the cash, and Chris said Ace is helping you through some stuff, and Ace ain't good for much unless it's money related."