Chapter 26 - Brothers For Life

I didn't think going back to Irby's was a good idea, but Ace needed booze – apparently – and lots of it. I reminded him there was lots of booze up at the garage, but he waved it off without any explanation. I think he wanted to go to Irby's to pick a fight with Eyeball and assert his dominance over the place. That was 'his' hangout for his boys, and if Eyeball wasn't one of them anymore, he could fuck right off. I'm sure that's what he was thinking. But Eyeball wasn't even there.

It was just Ace and I, Jack and Fuzzy and Vince. Vince who was all done up again in a tidy black shirt and nice fitting blue jeans, all ready for his date with Natalie – which I was supposed to help with. I didn't mind so much. I still liked Natalie and couldn't blame her for all the male drama that was going on.

"What's wrong with Ace?" Vince asked me as we stared a game of pool. It was his break.

I hesitated for a long while. I didn't really want to talk about it. Ace had barely said a word to me since we had arrived back in town three hours before. He was sitting alone at the bar with a very expensive bottle of scotch in one hand and a shot glass in the other. He'd had a couple, but most of the time he just sat there, staring at the television set. And you could bet your bottom dollar he wasn't watching it.

"Cass?" Vince said, placing a hand on my shoulder. He had a genuine look of empathy which was a first for me to see.

"Sorry, Vince. It's been a hard day."

"What's going on?"

"You know Antonia?"

"Yeah..."

"Well... she's gone," I murmured. "Forever."

"Oh... shit..." He looked over his shoulder at Ace who downed another drink.

"I never knew he was in love with her. I thought she was just some beautiful infatuation that he'd gotten over. He said he didn't-" My voice broke, and I was determined to hold it together around Vince who usually teased me for every little thing.

But now, he looked at me real serious, a crease at his brow, and then he pulled me in to his chest and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. He smelt amazing. Definitely nothing like his feet. The comfort gave me that second of security, and I could feel the tears begin to leak out.

"No." I shook myself out of it and pulled away from him, taking a deep breath. "I'm OK. He'll get over it, right?"

"Course he will. And he's fallen head over fucking heels for you, and don't forget that."

I gave him a hopeful smile as I wiped at my eyes. "Really?"

"Are you kidding? Sometimes he don't fucking shut up about you. But... I gotta hand it to you, you're doin' alright."

"Thanks Vince. That's a lot coming from you."

He smirked. "Now let's finish this game and get Nat. I'm lookin' forward to a real fine night tonight." He leaned down to take another shot at one of his stripes.

"Where are you taking her?"

"Castle Lake. And instead of taking her to dinner, I got a picnic hamper. We can eat right there by the water."

"Wow, that sounds really... romantic, Vince." I was both surprised and impressed. "I've never been to the lake."

"What, Ace ain't taken you- Fuck. Slack bastard. Well, when he stops brooding, make him. It sure is a picture."

"Hey Vincey," Charlie said as Billy ruffled Vince's hair. "All nice and pretty again, I see."

"Get the fuck off," he swatted at Billy's hand. He smoothed his hair out, but he had lathered it with so much 'Groom and Clean' that it had hardly moved in the first place. "Just 'cos you ain't had a date in forever."