Eternal Curse (Chapter 3) [18+]

Horrible shrieks and growls disturbed her rest to the point that she lost all trace of sleep

Horrible shrieks and growls disturbed her rest to the point that she lost all trace of sleep. Her room was plunged into a dense darkness, one in which she couldn't see a thing. As she strained her eyes, a slight burning sensation stung her orbs, forcing her to close them. When the scorching passed, she slowly opened them only to discover that she could see almost as sharp as if the sun shone outside.

What strange abilities was she developing? Now she could see even in total darkness, nothing like the partial view of her Eyarim, which only showed her the energy emitted by creatures. However, even weirder was her frequent need to sleep every day.

Luzbel heard the terrifying sounds again, some closer than others, reminding her of a wolf pack stalking its prey.

She approached the window with curiosity, opened it and poked her head out, trying to catch a glimpse of the growling creature but only received the cold wind's blow on her face. The howls and growls got further away, making her stretch even more out the window.

Damn it! What the hell is out there?

Suddenly, the night grew silent, not even the howls were heard in the distance. The only thing letting its presence known was the wind blowing outside. She looked over her shoulder to her room's door and briefly thought of searching for Caspiel when she felt a death reeking breath hit her face's left side. Turning around, she ran face to face with a monster that could only have been brought to life from horrific human nightmares.

The horrible being had no eyes or nose but made up for the lack of those by having an enormous mouth that spread from side to side full of sharp teeth. His long whitish body looked like a giant worm and projected six bony legs resembling those of a spider. An abomination that must have been created with the sole purpose of causing paralyzing terror in its victims.

And yet she couldn't avoid the deafening shriek that forced her way through her throat and destroyed all the windows of the room. The animal seemed to take it as an attack because he pounced on her immediately, roaring like an angry lion.

A hand with long black claws plowed into the open mouth of the beast, tearing off what appeared to be his heart and crushing it before the creature could do something about it. Its lifeless body rushed out the window, falling with great speed and tearing itself to pieces against the sharp rocks at the bottom.

"That was a Daimker or demon seeker." Gaap's velvety voice whispered in her ear as she buried her face in his chest, seeking his protection. Her childish gesture caused him to laugh but instead of pushing her away, he wrapped her in a hug and kissed her forehead. "You must be careful with the Daimkers next time. Your scream was the cause of his attack." He bent down to graze her ear tip with his sharp fangs. "You sound like a banshee, dearest. So, you must control your emotions when you see them."

"It's easy for you to say when I'm sure you participated in its creation."

"No." He shook his blond head, denying her words. "These creatures already existed in this hole when the Fallen arrived here." The demon lord sighed and took her hand, leading her out of the room. "Come, you'll sleep in my chambers."

"Why?" She stopped them in front of a beautiful spiral staircase made in stone with intricate carved wooden balusters showing an angel being attacked by a demon. "Why I'm getting so tired that I need to rest constantly? Angels barely sleep so I thought that it was the same with demons."

"You're right, a mature demon doesn't need sleep but you're a Vespertilio in transition. Your body consumes more energy because of all the changes that it must endure; that's why you need to sleep every night."

"That word again," Luzbel murmured, looking at the floor. "What am I? What is a Vespertilio?"

"The rough translation is bat, but humans gave us another name." Gaap pinned her against the wall and raised her hand, rubbing his nose over the veins of her wrist with an expression of pure ecstasy. "Vampires; that's how mortals nicknamed us." His eyes turned red for a moment before biting her index finger and sucking a little amount of blood. "But that is a vulgar name based on our food source," he explained, licking his lips. "The Nocte Vespertili are more than blood thieves. Among all races of demons, we are the elite, the only ones with the ability to transform legions with just one bite."

The way Caspiel expressed himself about his demonic race was as intoxicating as the ecstasy she felt when his fangs pierced her flesh. It was more than pride, he perspired pleasure from each one of his pores when he talked about the kind of creature that he had transformed into. He loved his darkness just as she was beginning to like the one inside her, making her long for the archangel of her youth to shine light upon her again because with every passing minute she seemed to sink deeper into the abyss.