Coffee, Vampires and Halloween (Chapter 1)

The love of the damned ones can shine brighter and stronger than any star on the sky; it can even surpass death itself.

1. Blue Eyed Stranger

Isis entered the Starbucks only to be greeted by the delicious aroma of fresh brewed coffee mixed in with some sweets

Isis entered the Starbucks only to be greeted by the delicious aroma of fresh brewed coffee mixed in with some sweets. She inhaled deeply, filling her lungs with the smell that reminded her of home as she sat on a table near the center and waved to María— the morning's shifts cashier— who waved right back while attending the other customers in line. It was an unspoken arrangement between them that Isis would just sit somewhere to wait until María placed her order— a hot white chocolate mocha without whip cream— and came by with her coffee.

Today was no different... except for the enormous bags under her eyes and the desire to sleep forever she had. Isis had spent three late nights and one sleepless, trying to finish a novel in time for her deadline. This morning though she doubted any amount of caffeine would keep her apart from her bed but if she didn't finished the last two chapters by the next morning, her editor would have her head. So there she was trying to awaken her body even if it was for a little while.

As she waited for her sweet beverage, she roamed the place with her tired eyes. Familiar and unfamiliar patrons alike could be seen around her favorite Halloween decorated café.

Since moving to San Juan she had come every morning to buy the same kind of coffee in this specific Starbucks because the place reminded her of the hometown she left and her parents house. The many trees around the little establishment and the ever present aroma of fresh coffee made her feel right at home. So much different to the way she felt about living in the capital city of Puerto Rico. The heat and constant noise of a bustling coast city were driving her nuts, making her all the more nostalgic about her little, quiet and cold town high in the mountains of the island.

She had initially come to San Juan to work in a government agency but then Mr. Santiago had found out about her writing talent and offered to be her editor. From that moment on Isis Acosta had become a full flesh writer, one that was already working on her third novel to be published. But even when she loved her job, she hated the capital with all her guts.