What now?

We ate our food and Nathan took the blankets from my bedroom and brought them to the living room as it was getting a little chilly. He took the Ben&Jerry's ice cream from the freezer in my favourite flavour- cheesecake and strawberry, yum! We just chilled waching TV, not talking too much. It wasn't awkward but it wasn't comfortable as before for me either. When he finally fell asleep I covered him with the blanket and exited on the balcony. It was 10 p.m. and there wasn't much commotion on the street. I sat on my balcony bench with the blanket over my lap and legs, just thinking about everything.

I lit my cigarette and kept staring at the street. It's a nasty habit of mine that I can't seem to kick off, although I know I should. Nathan made me feel so comfortable and made me smile with no effort, so why was I getting nervous? I think I'm scared of what might happen if I let myself go to the feeling. I'm too afraid of getting hurt so I'm always on edge when he's around me. I shouldn't show my emotions and I should keep myself reserved. Maybe he won't mention it, us as a thing rather than friends? I sure hope not. In a matter of seconds I burst into tears, just like that, out of nowhere. I sobbed like an idiot, trying so hard to stop but just couldn't. I managed to calm myself a little as I closed my eyes and lifted my head up to the sky, feeling the chilly air calming me slightly. The tears were still falling but I no longer felt the ache in my heart and the anxiety in my lungs.

''What's wrong?'' Nathan's voice catched me off guard.

I wiped the tears quickly off my face ''I'm fine.'' my voice shaking, I inhaled the cigarette strongly.

''Yeah, 'cause people cry when they're fine.''

''I'm..'' I paused ''Everything's overwhelming..''

''You know, you can talk to me. I'll listen.'' his voice tender and soft as he sat beside me on the bench.

I smiled lightly ''It's just that.. I miss home and as much as I adore this place it's lonely. First night out and I get myself into the hospital, who manages that? I know I said I was fine but it freaked me out and I'm not fine and I just want to cry, and why am I telling you this?! You shouldn't have to worry about my problems, God..'' I brought my knees up to my chest and buried my head in them.

''It's fine. I know it can get tough at times but keep your heart strong as much as you can. Now come on, let's get some sleep, you've had a long day.'' he took my hand and guided me into the room. We turned the TV on for a little while longer and fell asleep on the couch to the sound of some action movie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was awaken by sun rays going straight to my eyes. Opening them, I had something to see, Nathan's hand was around my waist as he was lying behind me. Remembering last night I was ashamed by the fact that I'd shown him my feelings like that, I was like an open book. I carefully escaped from his embrace and left to the bathroom. Standing in front of the mirror I looked like crap. Leftovers of my make up smudged all over my face, my hair a mess. I put my hair in a messy bun and washed my face, the cold water feeling so good against my skin. While I changed into my sweats my coffee was already done. I took it and made my way to the balcony. As I was exiting the living room a pair of strong hands made their way around my waist giving me butterflies. The feeling was confusing and weird yet kind of pleasant.

''Morning.'' I said turning around to face him. His eyes were more bright in the morning and the way he was disorientated right after he'd woken up was adorable. He followed me out on the balcony.

''Thank you.'' was all I could say at that moment. He didn't say anything at first and it made me nervous.

''For what?'' he finally spoke with the rough morning voice.