Prelude

CHAINS CLANK TOGETHER as Loki walks into the throne room, his hands bound firmly with a chain leading from them to the shackle around his neck. Guards flock him, some holding the ends of his chains whilst others watch the god of mischief like a hawk.

The silence is deafening, broken only by the rattle of metal cutting into his wrists and footsteps, as he approaches the throne occupied by Odin, the Allfather. To his left, Frigga stands in a blue gown, twisting her fingers nervously as she watches her beloved son approach.

"Loki," she says gently.

"Hello mother," He turns to face her, his face clear of emotion, before he mocks, "Have I made you proud?"

She meets his unwavering gaze, unafraid of the man despised by so many.

"Please, don't make this worse," Frigga urges him.

Loki eyes flash toward the ground before looking back up at her. There are so many things he could say in this moment, so many things he wishes he could do, but his pride will not let him. Instead, he speaks without hesitation in order to push away the only person whose love he never doubted.

"Define worse," he states flatly, resisting the urge to rattle his chains.

"Enough!" Odin's voice cuts through the tension like a knife, drawing Loki's attention toward the throne. "I will speak to the prisoner alone."

Frigga glances at her son one last time before turning to exit the throne room, still wringing her hands together nervously as she leaves. Loki watches her for a moment, longing written on his face, before he blinks it away and turns with a smirk to Odin. Stepping forward, he swings his feet out dramatically before slamming the chains that bind them together with a loud clang as he stands at attention.

He laughs, breaking his composure, "I really don't see what all the fuss is about."

"Do you not truly feel the gravity of your crimes?" Odin asks, watching closely as the smile remains on Loki's face. "Wherever you go there is war, ruin, and death."

The smile slips away.

"I went down to Midgard to rule the people of Earth as a benevolent god," he explains simply. "Just like you."

Odin shakes his head, "We are not gods. We are born, we live, we die. Just as humans do."

"Give or take 5,000 years," Loki quips with a wicked smirk.

"All this because Loki desired a throne," Odin concludes.

Loki's eyes flash with anger, "It is my birthright!"

Leaning forward in his throne, Odin raises his voice in a way that echoes through the throne room, "Your birthright," he shouts, emphasizing the t, "Was to die."

The king regains his composure before continuing, "As a child. Cast out onto a frozen rock. If I had not taken you in, you would not be here now to hate me."

"If I'm for the axe, then for mercy's sake, just swing it," Loki begs, stepping forward. "It's not that I don't love our little talks, it's just...I don't love them."

"Frigga is the only reason you're alive, and you'll never see her or that Midgardian woman again," Odin tells him. "You'll spend the rest of your days in the dungeon."

Shock and pain ripple across Loki's face, his emerald eyes flashing in anger as the guards begin to pull him backward with his chains. The mention of Anna broke away at his composure, his heart aching for the woman he never intended to fall in love with.

"And what of Thor?" He scoffs. "You'll make that witless oaf King while I rot in chains?"

After what happened on Earth with Restitution, the manipulation he suffered in order to save the life of the woman he loved, part of Loki hoped Odin would pardon him. Was not Thor threatened in the same way? Why must he suffer for being strong enough to act in order to save Anna's life? Why must he be punished for doing the right thing?

"Thor must strive to undo the damage you have done," Odin explains. "He'll bring order to the nine realms and then, yes, he will be king." 

Updates will be coming Summer 2016.