Chapter 41

ANNA FEELS as if she's trapped in a dream. Perhaps she fainted on her return trip through the Bifrost with Earth. There's no way in the entire universe that this could be real, that Loki's hands on her body are real, that his lips devouring hers are real. And yet, she can feel his fingers tracing patterns on her skin, a masterpiece of the cold sensation causing goosebumps to rise on her flesh, so it can't be a dream. Surely she couldn't dream that every single one of her senses is overwhelmed by him, drowning in him.

In that moment, she realizes the truth.

A slap rings out, and her palm is stinging before she registers that it made contact with Loki's face. Both of them are in shock, him from the blow to his face and her from the blow to heart, and they stare at each other for a moment before Anna lifts her hand to slap him again. Catching her wrist, Loki holds it firmly - keeping his emerald eyes locked on hers - before bringing her fingers to his lips.

"How?" Anna rasps, her voice barely a whisper.

Loki hesitates, "My love..."

"How?" She demands, this time with more force.

He sighs, still clutching her hand, "Do you trust me?"

"Loki," Anna rolls her eyes, tugging her hand out of his while she takes a step back. "I watched you die. I held you as you died, and your blood..."

Her voice breaks, and she pauses. Loki starts to move toward her, but she shakes her head.

"...I couldn't get it off," she continues. "You were gone, and all I could think about was how my hands were stained. No matter what I did, I saw your blood. You. Dead."

"Anna..." he mutters.

Her blue eyes flash angrily, "No! You...ARGH! How could you do this to me, Loki? Were you going to tell me? Or were you hoping that I'd return to Earth, and you'd be free of me? God, if you wanted me gone, just tell me!"

"No!" Loki replies sharply, capturing her chin between two fingers and turning her to face him. "No, my love, no. I want you by my side. Always."

She frowns, "Then why? Why did you leave me? I went to your funeral, Loki. I mourned. For days, I've been aching. Feeling like my lungs no longer functioned, like my heart was ripped from my chest and shattered into a million pieces, like I was suffocating." Tears begin to trickle down her cheeks. "You died. You left me, when you promised to keep me safe. You promised to..."

This time, when her voice breaks, Loki engulfs Anna in a strong embrace. He pulls her into his chest, and she tucks her face into his neck and cries. Smoothing the hair away from her face, Loki turns to press a gentle kiss against her forehead.

"I am sorry, my love," he murmurs, looking out over the top of her head to the throne room.

They're in a precarious position, where anyone might discover them, meaning both of them are at risk. Loki shifts nervously, still holding Anna against him, before whispering a few quiet words. A familiar shimmering green mist envelops them, and they are quickly transported from the throne room to an ornate set of bedchambers. With another flick of his fingers, the heavy door seals itself with Loki's magic, ensuring their privacy.

"Anna," Loki says. "Look at me."

She nearly smiles, enjoying the sensation of his voice rumbling deep within his chest, before looking up at him. Those familiar green eyes stare down at her, the light shining from within them - the light that she watched fade away less than a few days ago, and she lets out a soft laugh. Loki lifts an eyebrow, regarding her with curiosity, and she punches him halfheartedly in the shoulder.

"I'm angry with you," she says, failing to keep the corners of her mouth from turning upward. She punches him again, this time with more force, "I'm bloody furious with you."

Lifting her fist once more, she taps it against his shoulder a few times - her knuckles barely touching the heavy leather of his traditional Asgardian garb - and smiles. This time, tears are shining in her brilliant blue eyes, but her smile, somewhat lessened, still remains.

"I just don't care," she says, grabbing a fistful of his coat and pulling her toward him.

Their lips collide, and Anna lets herself drown into the sensation once more. Loki's arm held her firmly in place against his chest, the hard lines of his body evident as the distance between them is reduced to virtually nothing. Her tongue darts between his cool lips, savoring the taste and sensation. Mint is the first thing comes to mind, followed by the smooth sweetness of vanilla, and she nips at his lower lip. Loki groans, moving his hand lower down her back until it curves over Anna's ass, and he breaks their kiss to press his cool lips against the tender spot behind her ear. Tracing a pattern down to her collarbone, he pushes aside her sweater to reveal more of her smooth, delectable skin, and she nearly drags him back up to her mouth until his tongue traces a line on her bare skin.

Anna gasps, the chill sending a bolt of desire through her, and Loki smirks. He drags his other hand down her arm until their fingers interlace, pulling her hand to his lips. The knotted silver ring he gave her glints in the light, and Anna inhales deeply whilst waiting for his reaction. He pauses, virtually expressionless, before pressing another kiss against the ring itself.

"I am yours, my love," he tells her, emerald eyes burning with passion.

Both of them remain silent, two souls entwined, while both of their chests rise and fall heavily. The air is thick between them, and forgets - just for a moment - why she was angry with Loki in the first place. All that matters is that he's here, he's alive, and they are together. Finally. 

Taking a deep breath, she bites her lip, "Show me."

Savoring the deliciously mischievous glint in her eyes, Loki laughs before dropping her hand and lifting the sweater over her head in one fell swoop. His cool hands land on the bare skin of her waist and she sucks in a breath, smiling widely, before he pushes her backward until she falls on the bed.

He smirks, "Gladly."

Now playing: "Lips" by Marian Hill.