Chapter 21

LOKI GLANCES UP at the sound of guards coming into the hall, their boots echoing through the massive chamber making it sound like an army of hundreds rather than a small squadron of men.

"There they are! Take them!"

The leader of the guard barks out orders as they advance on the small party, and Anna's eyes grow wide. Lady Sif steps in front of her, and Thor joins her as they assess the situation.

"I'll hold them off," Sif tells him, before nodding at Jane. "Take her."

Thor gives her a brief nod, "Thank you."

Swords are drawn, the sound of metal clanging from their sheaths ringing in Anna's ears. Loki stares at the guards, his green eyes burning with a mixture of emotions - rage for the injustices done against him, concern for Anna - until he notices that Anna has followed Thor as he leads Jane away from the oncoming skirmish. Another hiss of metal sounds closer to him, and Lady Sif's cool blade connects with the tender skin of his throat.

"Betray them, and I'll kill you," she threatens Loki, pressing the sharp edge of her sword further against his neck.

He laughs, lowering his chin confidently and turning to face her while pushing the blade away with a disregard for his neck.

"It's good to see you too, Sif," he says, green eyes sparkling as he stares down the Asgardian warrior.

She turns and swings her sword, facing the oncoming guards, and a second blade appears from the middle so that there are two blades emerging from either end. Giving them a lethal and confident look, she prepares herself for the clash. It won't be lethal, but it will be difficult.

Loki catches up to the others with ease, his long strides quickly overtaking Anna until he falls in sync with her steps. His wrists are still bound, so he holds them in front of him at the ready in case anything should happen. Without his magic, he will be greatly limited in his ability to hold off an attack, but he is more than willing to protect Anna with his bare hands if necessary.

"What did Sif say to you?" Anna asks, keeping her eyes forward.

He sucks in a breath, his green eyes studying her petite form. 

She's wearing another Asgardian dress, and whoever has attended her ensured that she is once again dressed in his colors

She's wearing another Asgardian dress, and whoever has attended her ensured that she is once again dressed in his colors. A simple strapless gown of green floats down until it ends by above her knees in the front and drapes into a dramatic train in the back. Skin tight black leather breeches protect her legs, while a matching swatch of black leather wraps around her small waist along with bits of armor like a corset before looping up to form straps on her shoulders. Simply put, she looks absolutely stunning.

"She told me not to betray you," he replies honestly, his eyes landing on the silver bracelet decorating her left wrist that he doesn't recognize.

Anna stops to face him, her blue eyes filled with concern.

"Will you?" She asks earnestly.

His eyes fall to her right hand, the hand he couldn't see while she was walking, and he sees the knotted silver ring he gave her when he swore an oath binding himself to her back at Restitution. The sight of the twisted metal floods his body with pleasure, and he's glad to know that she's kept it despite the disappointment he's sure to have caused her. He'd been married before, long ago, to Sigyn, but their love affair was foolish and fleeting. He was young at the time, reeling from yet another string of rejections from Odin, and he flung himself passionately into Sigyn's awaiting arms. She was the only woman to prefer him over Thor, aside from their mother, and he let that guide him. After the deaths of their sons, Narvi and Váli, neither of them could bear to continue the relationship. However, his marriage to Sigyn could never compare to his feelings toward Anna, to the oath he swore to her.

"Will I what?" Loki replies, tilting his head to the side with faux amusement to mask his thoughts.

Anna sighs then throws her hands in the air in frustration. She starts to walk away from him, anger etched all over her delicate features, but Loki reaches out to grab her arm and pulls her back to him.

His lips claim hers instantly, their bodies molding into one, as passion floods through his veins. The heat of her skin burns against him, and he finds himself wishing that the little distance between them could vanish entirely. She kisses him back with an unexpected ferocity, one hand looping around his neck while the other stretches to tangle itself in his long, black hair. Using his tongue to trace the seam of her lips, they part with a gentle moan and he deepens the kiss much to their mutual satisfaction.

"I love you," he breathes against her lips, devouring them again and again.

His lips travel toward her neck, pressing a path fervently against the delicate skin of her jaw until he reaches her ear. Anna gasps, and Loki is pleased to feel her hands tighten in his hair in response.

"I love you too," she responds, pulling his mouth back to hers.

His hands are hopeless in their shackles, he can do little but hold her waist with one hand against himself, so he separates from her momentarily to lift them up and over her head so that Anna stands inside his arms.

She smiles at him before resuming their kiss, and he loses himself in her once more. 

Every inch of her body that is pressed against his has lit a fire that he has never before experienced, the flames burning deep to his very core

Every inch of her body that is pressed against his has lit a fire that he has never before experienced, the flames burning deep to his very core. This woman, this mortal, has captured him in every way, and the words of the oath he swore to protect her echo in his mind while they continue to quickly steal kisses.

I, Loki Laufeyson, confirm by oath upon this ring - a lawful oath in the eyes of the Almighty All-Father, Odin himself - that I shall deliver you from this place, protecting you from death and danger, with the strength of my magic, my body, and my rage.

His actions in Asgard after their escape from Restitution caused their separation, he was aware, but he'd do it all again for her. Magnus' threat was too great at the time. Anna's life was far more important than his relationship with Odin, even more important than his own life, and he would do anything to withhold that oath.

I shall lay down my own life to see no further harm comes to you. By Frigga, by Thor, and by the Almighty Odin, may my soul be bound to yours, to be destroyed forevermore should I fail to keep this oath.

Yes, they were bound. Just as the silver ring on her finger symbolized, Loki had irrevocably intertwined his soul with hers. It is so easy to fall against her now, their kisses bringing them closer than ever before. Even now, he pressed her against the wall in the shadows, his arousal evident even though he was aware that now was not the time nor the place.

No, he stops suddenly - both of them short of breath - and stares down at the woman in his arms. Now is not the time or place. He must protect her, not ravish her - much as they both clearly want it - and protecting her means distance.

Exhaling, he presses another gentle kiss to her lips before letting his forehead rest against hers.

"Remember my oath, my love," he tells her, his voice barely above a whisper. "You are mine, and I shall see you safe. Always."

Now Playing: "All of Me" by John Legend.

*****
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Comment + vote so I know you're still alive. ;)

PS. You're welcome. (Anna's dress is attached!)

x