Chapter 12

"WHAT THE HELL is going on?" Anna hisses at Loki.

His emerald eyes are sparkling with mischief when he looks back at her, shrugging his shoulders, before grabbing a book from the table. The sound of battle clangs through the dungeons, shouts mixing into the fray, and she shivers at the thought that she's trapped in this cell - completely unarmed - while a riot is taking place on the other side of the forcefield.

"Loki," she urges, tugging on his forearm so he's forced to face her. Her blue eyes are wide with fear, "What's happening? What was that...that thing?"

"I do not know," he says. "I believe us to be safer in here, so I suggest you make yourself comfortable, my love."

Kissing her on the cheek, he takes a seat next to the forcefield with his back pressed up against the wall. The battle is raging on outside, and he wants to keep himself between Anna and the action - even if they are somewhat protected by the forcefield. Should something go wrong, he doesn't want to risk her safety. A body is tossed against the forcefield, thudding to the ground, and he doesn't flinch as he turns the page of the book cracked open in his lap.

She stares at him in disbelief, "Did you...did you do this? Do you have something to do with this?"

He doesn't respond, refusing to lift his gaze from his book, and Anna groans in frustration.

"Answer me!" She shouts impatiently.

Loki sighs, "No."

"No, what?" Her temper is rising, and she's reminded of how much she hated Loki when they first met. Always picking a fight with someone, making light of every situation, and so aggravatingly stubborn. "Dammit, Loki!"

He slams the book shut and pinches the bridge of his nose. Exhaling loudly, he looks up at Anna with a frustrated glare.

"And what would you have me do, Anna? What exactly do you think me capable of doing whilst trapped in this cage?" He growls at her, discarding the book and standing to his feet.

She bites her lip, blue eyes staring back at him in a way that instantly makes him regret his outburst.

"Just tell me you didn't do this," she whispers.

His temper flares once more, and he takes a few long strides to cross the distance to her. Grasping her shoulders tightly, he shakes her roughly while his face contorts with rage.

"Is that what you think of me? You think I am able to commit any such atrocities, even whilst locked in this gods-forsaken dungeon?" Loki demands, his strong fingers bruising her bare skin. "I have been in this cell for a month since you nearly died. It was two weeks before they told me if you'd survived, Anna, two weeks of thinking you did not survive because of my failure. Thinking I'd never see you again. You cannot begrudge me for wishing ill upon Odin for all he has done to me, especially after that."

Tears begin to cloud Anna's vision as she puts her hands on Loki's chest to push him away, but he holds her closer and she is frozen with fear by the darkness burning in his eyes.

"I hope Odin suffers," he whispers bitterly, the fury in his voice sending chills down her spine. "I hope that creature kills him, and my only regret is that I am not able to watch."

"S-stop," she sobs, tears falling freely down her face now. "Let...let me go."

Loki's eyes widen at the sight of her, terror etched in her clear blue eyes as tears slide down her cheeks

Loki's eyes widen at the sight of her, terror etched in her clear blue eyes as tears slide down her cheeks. His fingers loosen their grip on her arms, and he realizes what he's done. What's he's said.

"Anna..." he begins, his voice cracking with emotion, only to be interrupted while she wretches away from him.

Her biceps are red, already marked with bruises forming from the imprint of his fingers, and she carefully wraps her arms around herself. Taking a step back, she presses a hand against her cheek to wipe away the tears that are falling. Loki lifts his hands in surrender, eyebrows knitted together with concern, as he slowly steps toward her.

"Anna?" A voice from outside the cell draws her attention away, and they both turn to see Lady Sif fighting an escaped prisoner. She swings her sword, defeating the man in seconds, before stepping toward Loki's cell. "What brings you to Asgard?"

Anna looks at Loki, her heartbeat racing as she bites her lip to prevent a fresh onslaught of tears. She loves him, more than she's ever loved anyone, but his outburst showed her a glimpse into someone who isn't the Loki she knows and loves. He is filled with even more anger and bitterness toward Odin than when they first met, albeit rightfully so, but she hates seeing how much he craves Odin's downfall. His bloodshed. Even though she resents the Allfather for separating them, the King believes he is acting in Asgard's - and Loki's - best interest. Whether he is misguided or not is beyond her, but she had hoped to convince Odin to change his mind about Loki's imprisonment upon her arrival in Asgard. Now, she is certain she will fail. Why would the Allfather want to free someone still hellbent on revenge?

"Can you get me out of here?" She asks Sif. "The guard left when the riot started."

The Asgardian warrior nods, moving to where she can temporarily disable the forcefield to Loki's cell. Anna begins to walk toward her, ignoring Loki, but his fingers latch gently on her wrist as she passes him. Twirling her into him, he uses his other hand to brush a loose strand of brown hair out of her eyes.

"Please," he murmurs, his voice laden with remorse. "Please, don't hate me."

His thumb wipes a tear from her cheek, caressing her soft skin, while she stares up at him. The air between them is thick with words unsaid, and Loki is terrified that he's about to lose her again. He cannot lose her again.

"I am sorry, my love. I am trul--" Loki begins, only to be interrupted when she leans forward to press a gentle kiss on his lips.

The kiss is long and soft, laced with a sweet sadness that brings more tears to Anna's eyes. Every movement of Loki's mouth against hers feels like he's afraid that he's tasting her for the last time, like he's begging for her to stay as he pulls her body flush against his. She loses herself in his embrace, her tongue darting between his lips as their kiss deepens further, and for a moment she forgets everything but the feeling of his cool skin pressed up against her.

Sif clears her throat, and Anna breaks away from him suddenly. Her chest is heaving as she gasps for air, blue eyes peering up at him through tear-soaked lashes, and he watches as she turns and exits his cell without looking back.

 Her chest is heaving as she gasps for air, blue eyes peering up at him through tear-soaked lashes, and he watches as she turns and exits his cell without looking back

Now Playing: "Love The Way You Lie" by Eminem ft. Rihanna.

*****
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Comments? Votes?

*hides*

x