Bonus Chapter #1

Anna lifts herself slowly, still aware of the injuries covering her body. Burns, cuts, and bruises painted her skin into a colorful canvas that ached with every movement, no matter how hard the maid tried to dress her wounds. A knock on the door draws her attention, and she glances toward it - expecting to see the familiar blonde woman who pulled her out of yesterday's nightmare - and instead she's greeted with the worried face of Eir.

"Eir," she whispers, tears welling up in the corner of her eyes at the sight of the Asgardian healer. "Oh, god. I was beginning I'd never see a familiar face again."

The healer smiles, the sadness in her eyes evident, "I am sorry for your loss, my dear. I came as soon as I could."

Struggling to sit upright, Anna winces as Eir wraps her hand around her shoulders and eases her back against the pillows. Concern is etched on the healer's features as she begins to assess Anna's wounds, her hands moving expertly over her body as she carefully takes an account of the full extent of her injuries.

"Your body is healing already," Eir says, working quickly to check and replace bandages. "Faster than what is considered normal for a Midgardian."

Anna frowns, "What does that mean?"

"It means you are lucky," Eir responds, applying a fresh layer of salve to the burns on Anna's feet and ankles.

The brunette scoffs, hissing in pain at Eir's touch, before relaxing slightly into the pillows, "Lucky. Lucky to be locked in this room. Lucky to be abducted and nearly killed in my dream. Lucky to be abandoned and alone."

"I know this is difficult for you, my dear," the healer acknowledges. "So it is for all of us. Asgard is in chaos after the Allfather's death, and without Thor...I fear for what will come."

Anna glances up from where she's been picking at the edge of the blanket, "You mean Ragnarok?"

"Yes," Eir responds quietly.

Hesitating, Anna takes a deep breath before saying, "Loki is alive, Eir. I saw him."

The healer looks up at her, questions deep within her eyes, as Anna gives her a sad but hopeful smile. Most of Asgard mistrusted the fallen prince, but she knew the healer was more forgiving than most. She had seen Loki's attentions toward Anna, seen how much he had changed, and was one of the few who grieved in earnest at his funeral.

"The day I was supposed to leave," Anna continues. "I saw him in the throne room."

Eir shakes her head, "A trick of the mind, surely. The Allfather said..."

"That he was dead, I know," she interrupts. "But I spoke to him, Eir. I touched him. I..."

Emotion catches in Anna's throat as she remembers the way Loki kissed her. His lips pressed against hers with such a ferocity - need and longing mixed with remorse in a way that took her breath away even at the mere memory - when he held her against him. She could still remember the taste of him, faintly of cinnamon mixed with snow, when he brought them here. To these very chambers. When he caressed every inch of her body, showering her with love in every way he knew how, until two became one.

The memory turns dark when she recalls what happened next. After she woke, when Loki attacked her and left her in this room. Trapped her here with magic. She'd gone more than week without seeing anyone but the maid who brought her meals, and now all of Asgard still believed he was dead. With Odin gone, she had no proof of Loki's mischief. No reason for anyone to believe his deception.

She aches for him, the pain in her heart fueled partially by the wish to see him again - to touch him - and also by anger, confusion, and loneliness. Why did he do those things? The last time she saw him, his eyes were wild - driven by rage - as he morphed into the monster so many claimed him to be. Before her very eyes, she watched as Loki fell apart. Watched helplessly as he descended into madness.

I am king, and all shall kneel before me.

How can she stop him? Could she even do that?

Or could she bring him back?

*****
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hi.

*insert Loki grin here*

Be sure to head over to The Ides Of July to check out the new update. MASSIVE #Lanki news waiting for you there.

Comment + vote!

x