Bonus Chapter #2

After another month in Asgard, Anna still had not left Loki's chamber. The spell cast on the door was too powerful, and the strongest practitioners in Asgard had yet to break its magic. Luckily, however, she had grown closer to the three women who visited her regularly.

Ilva, the lady's maid assigned to her by Frigga, began stopping by the room after Eir visited, and she often sat with Anna during the afternoon. While the council continued to deliberate, Anna was glad for the maid's company. She kept Anna up-to-date on the gossip around the palace, including news of Heimdall. The Asgardian gatekeeper was still in the dungeons, unable to return to his post, and Asgard remained sealed from the rest of the realms.

He would speak with no one, according to Ilva, and Anna wondered if that meant he knew more about the current situation than he was willing to share.

Besides Ilva, Eir tried to visit Anna's chambers - or rather, Loki's chambers - once or twice a week. The nurse continued to tend to Anna's wounds, which healed rather quickly, and made sure she stayed healthy in her confinement. Luckily, Loki was a prince, which meant his chambers were quite spacious and the balcony provided ample sunshine and fresh air, but it was still maddening to spend every single day for a month trapped indoors.

She wanted to read, so Ilva and Eir petitioned the council for permission to bring in a master of Asgardian magic and science to perform a ritual that would allow Anna to speak in Allspeak, the language most Asgardians spoke, and to read the ancient script used in most of the books littered around Loki's room.

Most were about magic and science, some about history, and there were a few novels scattered amongst them. Soon, she requested Ilva bring her a stack of new books from the expansive palace library each week, and she began to acquaint herself with the vast history of Asgard.

Anna learned about everything she could, soaking up information like a sponge, but when she discovered there were entire books dedicated to more 'recent' history (in Asgardian terms, of course), she began reading anything and everything relating to Loki.

Ilva told her stories, supplementing her obsession, and she learned of his children. The witch, Angrboða, bore him three children, none of whom reside on Asgard. Jormungand and Fenrir, his sons, were both banished from Asgard, and Ilva told her about their unique appearances. Fenrir, his firstborn, was changed into the shape of a wolf by his mother upon his birth. Ilva said he grew to an astounding size, and - because of his rapid growth - the Asgardian's cast him out, binding him to a rock floating around in the cosmos. His second son, Jörmungandr, took the form of a serpent, and Odin - afraid of the danger he posed - banished him to Midgard to live in the depths of the ocean. Loki's third child from Angrboða, a daughter, named Hela. She took after her father, apparently, having an appearance that was half blue and half-flesh colored, but Odin took offense with her presence in Asgard as well. She was sent to Niflheim, realm of the dishonored dead, where she became queen of Hel.

Anna also learned about Sleipnir, the eight-legged horse that Loki mothered after his time spent as a mare, and she was amazed to learn that Sleipnir still resided in Asgard. Odin allowed his presence, and - according to Ilva - even went as far as to claim Sleipnir as his personal steed.

The maid who rescued her from her nightmares, saving her life that night a month prior, rarely visited. When she did, she remained silent aside from a polite greeting, and Anna grew more curious about her every day.

She was patient in her service, delivering meals and assisting Anna in any way necessary, but she never spoke no matter how much Anna coaxed her to do so. Today was another of those days.

Anna sighs, watching the blonde woman fly around Loki's chambers as she dusted every surface even though there wasn't a speck of dirt or dust in the room. Everything glistens, the gold sparkled in the sunlight, and Anna can't help but notice how it matched the maid's long blonde hair.

"You don't have to do that," Anna tells the woman, feeling like a broken record as she says the same thing each week. "Honestly, it's clean. Even if it weren't, I wouldn't mind."

The maid smiles, nodding briefly, before continuing her work.

"Why won't you talk to me?" She asks, exasperated. "There's no law saying you can't. Ilva does. Eir visits when she can. I don't think anyone would mind if you did."

The blonde woman hesitates, still facing away from Anna, before continuing on with her task. Anna groans, slumping in the chair with her book open on her lap, as she watches. Ilva wasn't able to visit today, and Eir hadn't stopped by all week. Desperate for some company, she hated the silence.

"At least tell me your name," Anna bargains. "You don't have to say anything else. I promise. But...you saved my life. You've been here every day for a month, and I don't even know what to call you."

The maid sighs, finishing the work she is doing, and turns slowly to face Anna. Indecision is etched all over her delicate features, and the two women stare at each other as she decides whether or not to oblige to Anna's request. Without saying anything, she picks up her supplies and heads toward the door to leave. Anna frowns, watching her exit, and stares blankly at the book in her lap.

Another day in silence.

"Sigyn," the woman says quietly, turning to face Anna before she slips out of the door. "My name is Sigyn."

*****
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Bonus chapter bomb = dropped.

Comment + vote!

x