Chapter 37

A KNOCK ON THE DOOR startles Anna out of her thoughts. She's been curled up in an oversized chair in the chambers Thor deposited her in for nearly an hour, waiting for him to return from his meeting with Odin. It was difficult to convince him to bring her to Asgard, especially considering he was leaving Jane behind once again, but she knew he couldn't in good conscience refuse her the opportunity to say goodbye to Loki. While he wasn't certain Odin would allow a funeral quite as lavish as Frigga's, something must be done to honor his brother's passing, and it was only right to bring Anna along with him.

"Come in," Anna says weakly, smoothing a hand over the folds of her skirts.

Ilva, one of the maids Frigga assigned to her on her previous visits to Asgard, had found Anna immediately after hearing of her arrival in Asgard. With Thor's blessing, she ushered her into a spacious and ornate set of chambers to wait for news rather than allowing her to pace the corridors outside the throne room anxiously. The maid was incredibly sweet, insisting upon bringing Anna a dress to change into, and staying with her for a good portion of the hour - helping her change, braiding her hair - until Anna shooed her away. It was obvious the maid was only trying to help keep her occupied, distract her from thoughts of Loki, but truth be told...Anna just wanted to be alone.

Even now, she stands reluctantly as the heavy door to the chamber swings open. Her long black gown, trimmed in leather at the waist and shoulders, is indicative of her mood. With sleeves trailing to her wrists, the only adornment she wears is the silver bracelet Tony gave her and Loki's ring. She twists the knotted silver band nervously, tracing its familiar patterns over and over again, as Thor enters the room with a hesitant smile.

"Lady Anna," he says, bowing his head politely to her.

Anna tries to smile, "Please, Thor. It's just Anna."

"Anna," he concedes. "You look beautiful. Loki would be..."

The mention of his name hits Anna like a fresh dagger to the heart, and she sucks in a breath. Fortunately, tears no longer threaten to fall from the corners of her eyes. After two days in Asgard without him, two days of waiting for news on whether they found his body or not, she has finally run out of tears.

"Have they found anything?" She interrupts Thor, unwilling to listen to him talk about what Loki would or wouldn't do.

He pauses, "Anna..."

Stepping forward, Thor stretches his hand out to Anna. She freezes, eyes wide, at the tone of his voice. He's trying to soften the blow, his words oozing with a combination of sadness, pity, and uncertainty, and it strikes her like a blow to the gut. Staggering backward, the brunette searches blindly for the chair behind her before allowing her body to sink into it.

"They can't find him," she whispers. "They've given up."

Thor nods, "Svartalfheim is desolate, you saw it yourself. Many storms have ravaged the land, so it's likely that he..." The blonde Asgardian clears his throat, "...that his body is buried beneath the dirt. Even Heimdall assisted in the search, but Loki's body is nowhere to be found."

"I'll go back," Anna resolves quietly. She stands, her jaw set, "I'll find him. I was there, so I should be able to remember where he was. I can..."

She stands, rushing past Thor, but he grips her forearm tightly to prevent her from leaving the room. His blue eyes are filled with sorrow as he shakes his head.

"I went to Svartalfheim myself," he tells her. "Anna, he would not want y--"

Her azure eyes flash with anger, "You don't know what he would want! I can't just leave him there, like he doesn't matter to me. I have to find him, Thor. I have to bring him back. I need..."

Thor pulls her into his chest, wrapping his strong arms around her, while she continues to rant at him. Balling her fists tightly, she pounds them against him - attempting to escape his grasp - with little success. Even if he weren't Asgardian, her heart isn't in the struggle as deep down she allows the reality of Thor's words to sink into her consciousness.

Loki is gone. Loki is gone. Loki is gone.

It repeats in her mind, over and over again, ripping through the very existence as she continues to fight against Thor. Her fists move with less power, no longer driven by anger, as impossible tears threaten to fall from her eyes. Thor remains silent, graciously allowing her outburst to run it's course, in the hopes that letting her do so might help.

"Anna," Thor says gently, loosening his hold on the now-weeping woman who has her forehead pressed against his chest. "His funeral is tonight. I am sorry, but we cannot wait any longer. It is time to honor him and say our farewells."

Now playing: "Dead Hearts" by Stars.

*****
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Two double update days, back-to-back? 

Please, stay with me. I know it's hard, but we have at 10-20 chapters left of this book!

(Anna's dress is attached!)

Comment + vote! 

x