Chapter 9 AT&T Confessions

Ella arrived home and didn't have anything to do since Luke had broke her phone. Stuffed animals were lying on the floor. Presents? I hardly deserve any. Calum is dead. I could tell by the look on Ashton's face. Ella sighed.
She turned to the kitchen where the fire had been. Nothing had been cleaned up. The firefighters only put the fire out and then left. How rude. Ella cleaned the floor and then washed the walls of ash. She then swept the floor to find a cigarette butt on the floor.
The cause of the fire! Ella's eyes widened. Did Calum smoke this cigarette? She licked the place where you put your lips. Sure enough, it tasted like Calum's chapstick.
Ella jumped at the quiet sound of the mail dropping throughathe front door slot. She took a deep breath and grabbed the mail setting it on the clean counters. It spread out over the counter top. Ella sat at the dining room table and examined the cigarette. Then a piece of mail fell to the floor.
She picked it up and noticed a stamp saying Army recognition.
Army recognition? She put the butt on the counter and opened the letter sitting back down at the table.

We have been notified to inform you,
Ashton Irwin has been accepted into the army and will leave to join boot camp on August 1st. Say goodbye to loved ones and thank you for applying and serving your country.

Sincerely Commander Carl.

Now my worst nightmare had arose. Ashton applied for the army and didn't tell me? Luke better no have known or I'll never forgive him! Ella reached in her pocket. Damn, no phone. Ugh!!!!!
Ella grabbed her wallet and ran down to the corner on the street to the payphone. She dialed Ashton's number. "Where are you?"
Ashton choked. "AT&T?"
"AT&T?" Ella asked back.
"The one across from our apartments..."
Ella looked to her right to see Ashton looking through the AT&T store window, fangirls creeping up behind him."You got some girls behind you. I'll come over, but you're in serious trouble." She hung up.
After shooing the fangirls away and having them yell at Ella she poked a finger at his chest. "What in your right mind makes you think your joining the army? Huh?"
"Everyone is so stressed and I just wanted to escape." Ashton said giving his oh so innocent look.
Ella crossed her arms and licked her lips. "To escape me?"
Ashton looked left. I knew it.
" No Ella, not because of you." He looked deep into Ella's brown eyes. "Because of me, and actually yes because of you. But not for that reason. It's something completely different. You won't understand."
"What won't I understand?" Ella huffed.
He looked away searching for words. Then his eyes narrowed. "Why do girls always take things the wrong way. I shouldn't have told you where I was. I spoiled the surprise anyway." He pulled an IPhone 6s out of his pocket. "For you."
He changed the subject. I'll play along, but I'm not letting go. I was so close. He cannot join the army, people need him here. His fans need him. Ella took the phone. "Thank you!"