Chapter Seventeen

~Time Skip~

"Okay Butters, I need you to just hold onto this sign for me until the game is over.  Then, I'll come get it right after we are done," I explained.

"Yes sir," Butters nodded.

"Remember, no one can see it, and you can't let (Y/N) know- actually, don't let anyone know," I continued.

He gave me a nod.

I grinned before leaving him.

Butters wasn't the ideal person to put this kind of pressure on, but I knew he'd get the job done.  It was just before our basketball game, that could possibly be our last.  We were in the finals for districts and if we won we got to go to state.  It was also the day for me to act on my plan to get (Y/N) back.

"Stan, are you coming?" Kyle asked.

"Yeah, I'm on my way," I called back.  "Okay Butters, I'm trusting you here."

"Don't worry Stan, you can count on me," Butters smiled as I ran off to the locker room.

*Your P.O.V.*

The girls and I were stretching in prep for the game.  The boys soon came out for warm ups.  We stood off to the side as they did their thing.  The entire time I watched Stan.  I wasn't sure why I kept doing this to myself.  I watched him constantly.  I wasn't even staying strong for myself anymore, I was doing it for every girl that went back to their lying boyfriends.  For every girl that went back to that boy who was poison for them.  Stan was poison for girls.  You could see that.  I deeply believe that he loves me, but things weren't right.  I was way too stubborn to let him go but also way too stubborn to take him back.

The buzzer rang causing me to escape from my thoughts.  Stan had caught me staring ans sent a wink over my way.

What an ass!

The game started and the boys went into position.  Craig went in the center for the jump, and Token, Kyle, Stan, and Clyde followed to their designated spots.  During the game, I tried to focus on anything but Stan.  Normally, I wouldn't struggle this badly, but tonight was different.  Stan seemed overly cocky tonight.  He was having a great game and had this confidence he hasn't had for a while.  It was like the confidence he had when we were together.  It was suiting him well tonight.  He was pulling most of the team's weight. 

The buzzer rang, signaling it was half time.  Us girls did our cheers until the boys came back out from the locker room.  The crowd went wild as they huddled around the bench.

"Hey, is everything alright?" Nicole asked, obviously noticing that I've been stuck in my thoughts. 

"Yeah, it's just Stan," I admitted.

"He's having a great night," she commented.

"I know, which is great, but I'm scared he's going to try something," I replied.

Her eyes went wide.

"What?" I asked.

The buzzer rang again as she responded, "Better get back to cheer."

"But-"

I was cut off by the crowd as the boys started to play again.  The boys continued to win until the last buzzer went off.  The crowd went crazy to the idea of going to state.  The boys shook hands with East Park and the starters were tackled.  At some point, Stan must have made his way out of the mess because he stood by the microphone holding a poster.

"(Y/N) (L/N)," he announced.

Shit.

I slowly emerged from the crowd of people into the open.

Stan held up a sign that said '(Y/N), I thought I'd take a shot', and the senior boys lined up holding basketballs that spelled out 'PROM?'.  

"(Y/N), I thought I'd take a shot and ask you to prom," Stan smiled.

I looked to Nicole for an answer as the crowd went silent.

Fuck.