Interview with: lacoco

Author:

Chloe

Name of Book:

Wolf Lake

Genre of Book:

Werewolf and Teen-Fiction :)

How did you discover wattpad?

Through a friend, she'd told me all about the anime fan-fics she'd read and wrote on here and BAM! I signed up to comment on her stories and as I ventured into different genres, werewolf was there - they are forever my wattpad bias!

How did your interest for writing originate?

In all truthfulness, I hadn't been full-scale into writing until I actually joined wattpad. Before wattpad I liked writing but never in a million years did I think I'd like it enough to write and complete full novels. I have wattpad to thank for that; it has driven me to complete my first novel and has improved my understanding of the English language.

What was the inspiration for your story?

I love 'triangles' between characters, (not just love triangles) and werewolves in general. I'd been looking for a book to read for a while and none of them were spiking any particular interest. I'd attempted to write werewolf before but as ideas built up about what I wanted to read, they also started to form a story of their own. I was also on a family walk and there just so happened to be this huge lake, but not so big that you couldn't see the other side. Forest-y and such, I thought it was the perfect setting for a werewolf novel thus my creation of Wolf Lake. I also was beginning to hate the typical attitude of characters in werewolf novels and as I created the plot for Wolf Lake, I began to create a different type of character who would take on the 'big-not so bad- son-of-the-alpha' role. Austin was born and around his personality and family life, I shaped the mid part of the story. Wolf Lake as a whole is inspired by realism and wanting to venture into something that I hadn't seen done on wattpad yet.

How did you come up with the idea for your story?

Most of this I answered in the previous question, but I'll expand it a bit.

So yeah, the lake I'd seen with my family driven my imagination to wonder, what if maybe this was the setting for a werewolf novel? I got out my planning folder and sat down and wrote about all the different routes I could take the story. I browsed the internet for details on modern and traditional werewolves and in the end I came up with a story of a human meets werewolf, and then the rest you need to read for yourself ;) What I do for my story planning is pick routes and then make two different options for each route and then paths to take within those routes. I picked the most original and seemingly most entertaining and Wolf Lake was then finally begun.

Did you stick to your original plot or changed it?

I have a habit of planning stories to death, but with Wolf Lake I tried it differently; I only planned the first half of the story with only a brief outline of the ending. By the time I was a quarter ways through my plans I had already made some severe changes to how the story would go. At this point, the triangle wasn't important in the story but as I wrote more chapters I realized how important this triangle might actually be. This has changed my story several times and has also inspired a sequel due to the changes.

Who is your favorite character from your story?

*sigh* this is hard. I love all my characters, but it would be Riley - my MC. At first we see her as the shy unexposed girl who kept much to herself until a friend shows up. We then see Riley as a much stronger person but still obedient and compliant in order to be accepted. As the story goes on I hope readers see her become mentally stronger - it's be a feat for, I'm used to writing unstable characters - and I hope readers like it. Riley has a lot to handle in the rest of Wolf Lake, ;) I'm saying no more, spoilers won't get me anywhere...

Are your characters based on real life people?

Nope, I created a character called Nadia Symons for my other novel and she is the inspiration for Riley Kerr of Wolf Lake. But you could say that Dante has traits I may or may not have stolen from South Korean pop star Tae Yang ;) you could say Austin, however, was inspired by a real life person. Not off one person in particular, but off a whole group of people. Austin is driven by a need to satisfy his father but he doesn't always agree with him, see eye to eye – a need to rebellious. Austin was drawn up in my mind when I looked at people in a similar situation.

If your life was a book what would be the title?

Strange question :) But my life is so messed up right now that it wouldn't get passed the submission stage. The book would literally be begging to be deleted: 3 'Pessimistic & Slightly Psychotic: Read at your own Risk' 

Can you say something extra about your book readers don’t know?

Austin and Riley won't be together, sorry all you team Austins out there hahaa, but things will change in his favor... and at the same time they'll turn. And don't think Bianca and her father are out the way, they'll be back to play a very vital role.

Have you ever had a writer’s block? How do/did you overcome it?

Just last month I had a severe case of - well not writers block - but the inability to hit the god damn keys! I couldn't bring myself to type a single word; I'd 'scunnered' myself! I'd concentrated solely on Wolf Lake and I was screaming at myself for a break. My advice for other writers; don't write just the one story, write two. One will be a main project; another will be a side project to take the pressure off. Plan them both to death with different paths for each, so you never run out of ideas :)

Anything extra you would like to add?

Nope, I think we've covered it all. Thanks so much to anyone who is reading, I can't express how grateful I am to have an opportunity such as this one to share my work with the world!