Hustle | Chapter 2

Copyright 2013 All Rights Reserved

Hustle By Claire Chilton

2

Escape Route

Ellie noticed that she was impatiently tapping her fingers on her knee and forced her hand to remain still.

Come on taxi. Hurry up.

She was seated on one of the plush couches in the foyer of Hawkins Hall, watching the security staff roaming around the grounds through the open door.

She ignored the cup of black coffee that Bill had left on the small table near her seat. It looked like mud.

How drunk does he think I am?

She hated waiting for anything, and patience was not a virtue when it came to making a clean get away. She knew that the broken tablet could be found at any time. The clock ticked loudly in the foyer, reminding her that another minute of nearly getting caught had passed by. Her hand started tapping on her lap again, and she clenched it into a fist to make it stop.

A few seconds later, she grabbed her cream wool coat off the seat beside her and pulled it on, feigning a shiver for anyone who might be watching and shoving her hands in the pockets to stop herself from giving off anymore tells.

Every time someone walked down the stairs into the large foyer, she hitched her breath.

Anytime now, and I'm busted.

She eyed the staircase as a feeling of doom swept over her. After all the things that had gone wrong, it seemed unlikely that she would be walking out of the front door unscathed.

Hope lit up inside her as headlights shone on the gravel driveway outside. A big black cab pulled up outside the open doors. She rose to her feet and headed towards the car, remembering to put on a drunken stagger as she crossed the marble floor.

Strong hands gripped her shoulders, and she nearly shrieked in surprise. She glanced up to see Bill's stern face looking down at her.

"Let's get you in there safely, shall we?" He offered her a sympathetic smile as he guided her into the taxi.

I guess Jacob shunts off a lot of women in taxis late at night.

She nodded and then pulled a queasy expression. "I wanna go home." She hung her head in mock-sickness.

Bill patted her on the shoulder. "You'll be okay. Just drink lots of water when you get home. Where do you want the driver to take you?"

"Calerville." She pointed down the road in the rough direction of the small, rustic village just a mile away from the estate. "Jus" down the road. Home, mmm." She flopped back into backseat and closed her eyes.

"Take her to Calerville." She heard Bill say, followed by a sweeping sound.

She opened one eye and saw him pay the driver.

They're paying for my getaway car!

"Thanks, Billy," she murmured.

"Take care, Miss." Bill closed the door and tapped the roof of the cab. It rolled down the driveway, leaving the house behind it.

Ellie sat up after a couple of seconds and cracked open the car window, enjoying the fresh air that was rushing through it.

I made it.

"Don't let her get away!" A familiar voice echoed behind her.

She glanced back to see Jacob hanging out of his bedroom window, holding what appeared to be the broken tablet in his hands. She was too far away to see his face, but she could guess that he looked pissed.